Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dzejna_gw

Chinaberry

dzejna
10 years ago

My neighbor has refused to cut his young Chinaberry/Melia azedarach that grew next to my fence, and the branches keep pushing the planks out of shape. We managed to achieve a compromise and he cut the offensive branches but the tree is growing fast and the crown is starting to reach onto my house (roof) and I feel it is way too close for a tree that will grow to 40 feet! Not to mention huge amount of berries that drop and leave a mess. I really do like the tree, it has a very nice shade but 40 feet is way too much at this close proximity! Also it seems to have weak branches so if we have a storm, they might easily fall on my roof. (I keep seeing this word next to the name of the tree, "firewise"...does anyone knows what that means?)
I did a little bit of research just now and it says the berries are poisonous and leave toxin in soil, making it barren. I have a whole side of the yard under that tree planted with nice stuff and I don't want to lose them. Any suggestions?

Comments (5)

• bostedo: 8a tx-bp-dfw
    10 years ago

dzejna: I keep seeing this word next to the name of the tree, "firewise"...does anyone knows what that means?

Means some edu/gov/org gave it a low flammability rating.... though I never would have guessed it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Firewise Landscaping

• paradisecircus
    10 years ago

I will be facing a similar situation very soon, as my neighbors have a Chinese Pistache that is so close to our fence, half the canopy hangs about 6 feet into our yard. It isn't hanging on the fence YET but it will be very soon. My husband said that we have every right to trim back whatever is over the property line and in our yard. To me, it's apparent that when we do trim it back, it will probably shear off about 1/3 of the canopy. My suggestion was to wait until fall to do that so the radical pruning wont hurt the tree or the neighbors feelings.

Personally, I don't think you should sacrifice your own plantings for someone else's tree. As I said, I've always been told that whatever hangs over the property line is ours to deal with how we choose. I would trim back those branches. Maybe not so radically that you can't enjoy the tree yourself since you said you like the shade. But controlling the size on your end would be perfectly within your right. Especially considering it's causing/will cause damage to your property.

• dzejna
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bostedo, thank you for that explanation, it's very helpful. :) Paradisecircus, I am sorry to hear you are facing a similar challenge but yes, sounds like we will both need to be firm and stand our ground to have some of the branches cut at least. I agree with you on waiting for fall though, maybe even winter since I don't want to kill the tree by cutting in this heat.

• southofsa
    10 years ago

I doubt you could kill it if you tried. We just cut one down that was 20+ feet, multitrunked. Then we ground down the stumps at least 2 feet and 12 foot diameter circle. It looked like the previous owners cut it down and tried to burn the stumps when they lived here.

That sucker is trying to come back. I've hit it with round up about 4 times so far and need to go after some new sprouts.

Attractive- yes. Nice shade- yes. Invasive every way you can think- heck yes.

Lisa

• dzejna
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, now that is called tough. :P The only other tree I know of being so invasive is the mimosa, killed it last year to the ground and it popped sprouts from roots everywhere in the front yard! I will have to try the killer stump thing next. Maybe it would work for you too Lisa?

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!