Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mexican Marigold/Copper Canyon Daisy

Posted by cedarstick Central TX (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 5, 10 at 9:25

I bought 2 of these & they grew great, but haven't had but a couple of blooms. I understand they bloom best in short days in the fall. But one is looking very bad. The leaves are fading to pale green & some parts are dying. Is this common, or will they spring back in the fall?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mexican Marigold/Copper Canyon Daisy

I don't know about the daisy, but Tagetes lucida Mexican Mint Marigold is a fall bloomer that thrives in the hot, humid South. It is also known as Texas tarragon because French tarragon is difficult to grow in the South, and Mexican Mint Marigold is a culinary substitute. If you have the plant established it can take the heat and humidity, but if you don't have it established then you might need to give it some extra water to get it going again. And if you mulch it with 2" to 3" of mulch, it should overwinter just fine and come back in the spring time after it warms up.

o

How often are you watering them, and with what and for how long? What are you feeding it? How much sun are both getting? Not enough water, not enough food and not enough sun could cause what you're describing.

o

Both of these only bloom in the fall for me.

o

I planted marigolds from seed this spring. They were very leggy and taller than the version I came to enjoy in my time in Mexico. They first bloomed mid-June and did well until mid-July when we went on a 2.5 week vacation. When we got back they looked terrible. I believe they're getting too much sun and had been getting too little H2O. I've increased the water and dead-headed them. The stems look better now (green again, as opposed to the gray/withered color they'd taken on) and I have some new blooms. I am hoping they flourish again in the fall. In Mexico they are mostly prominent in the fall, around Day of the dead time (late Oct. early Nov).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here