Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
On a Crinum kick (see link) but where to buy?

Posted by roselee z8 SW Texas (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 11, 08 at 9:57

Hello everyone!

My friend Linda says she is on a crinum kick, but can't find a mail order source that carries a wide variety so that the shipping costs are not so high.

Does anyone here have any suggestions?

She provided this link to some beautiful crinums. Click on a variety name to see lots of pictures.

Here is a link that might be useful: PBSWiki -- Crinums

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: On a Crinum kick (see link) but where to buy?

Plant trades.
A shovel and drive around the state, they grow in ditches, abandoned lots, fields.....
Tally HO!

o

Here's a place I have bookmarked. I've hever ordered any though.
Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Marcelle's Crinums

o

Is Marcelle back to shipping plants? She had been really ill and wasn't doing any mail orders.
Tally

o

I don't know that she is, Tally, but her web site no longer has the notice that was up, that said she was not.
Jim

o

Marcelle is the first place I thought of too. I checked the web site and it looks like she is back to selling again but only till Sept 30 so you need to get your order in soon.

Barb

o

I ordered from this man / site before. The bulbs are HUGE.

Even if you don't order, you've gotta look at the pics and the growing info
c

Here is a link that might be useful: crinums

o

Thanks to you all for the tips on two places to order!

Barb, I don't see a place to order, or prices, on Marcelle's site or anything about Sept 20. Will look again, but maybe you could tell me on which part of the site map you found that info.

Anyone else is welcome to add any places that you might know of.

o

I got one from ebay and one that a gw friend shared with me.

o

Roselee, there is a green bar just below the picture that says .....Click here to view plants for sale page...

o

Got it! Thanks Barb :-)

o

I'm digging and selling ALL of mine! I'm rich! I'm rich!! I didn't see any variegated on her site either. I thought she had some.

Roselee-is your friend coming to the fall Mercer trade by any chance? If so let me know. I'll run around and dig her some up. You're on your own for names for the most part. Most of the ones I have access to are growing in ditches, old cemetaries, etc. so I've no idea what they are.
Tally HO!

o

I am digging and dividing very soon, and would be happy to share some if your friend is interested. I know I have Mrs. James Hendry, Ellen Bosanquet, Stars and Stripes, and several others that I will have to check on the names.

Let me know...
Janie

o

I've ordered crinums from Plant Delights Nursery before and was happy with the results.

www.plantdelights.com

o

Thank you very much Tally and Janie! I'm sending this link to Linda so she will see your very kind offers, but I doubt if she will be able to attend the Mercer swap or travel very far south. She lives near Seguin and as a nurse she has a full schedule. But you never can tell what we might do for plants! I'll let her get in touch with you if there is a way she can take advantage of your generosity.

BTW, some of you frequenting Rainbow Gardens on Thousand Oaks in San Antonio might remember Linda; blond, bouncy, very knowedable. (Yeah, that's you Linda :-) She worked there several years ago and that's where I met her.

o

I have bought some from Brent and Becky's bulbs, they were a very nice size (and I got one at their half-price sale in May so that was even better).

I have ordered several from Nestor on eBay (seller name bulbsnmore), and have been happy with his.

The nicest ones I've received have been those from Sylvia in Red Oak (and that's how I met her, trolling Craig's list for plants). One was as big as a coconut, the other was in a 5-gallon pot.

Lin

Here is a link that might be useful: ebay link for bulbsnmore

o

I wish I had the pics on photo bucket, but I have a beautiful
dark pink and the more common milky white with a pink stripe down the center of each petal. My bulbs will be quite large.
roselee, you friend enough to come dig them up??? Might even
include a rose.

Weldon

o

Even us nurses get a day off now and again. But I understand with the price of gas not wanting to drive this far. However, it is for plants and we've all done things for plants we wouldn't for anything else. Really, I wouldn't get up and drive all the way across Houston to the other side of the world at 5 in the morning for anything EXCEPT the Mercer trade. And the Ft. Bend trade, and the new Katy trade.......
Anyway, if she makes a trip to the shore tell her to let me know. We'll get a shovel and start digging.
Tally HO!

o

Rinbow Gardens on Bandera has queen emma and milk and wine. Brent and Becky's has an excellent selection, but will have to wait till to next spring to order from them.

However, Brent and Becky's offers one crinum variety in their fall catalog. Crinadonna

o

If you come to dig at Weldon's, Roselee, might as well bounce on over to mine and dig up a few Tropical Giants.

o

After having looked at some of the youtubes from Southern Bulb, I would LOVE to have crinum Mrs. James Hendry (without paying $30 for it from Yucca Do :). If anyone has one they'd like to trade, I have some Oxblood/Schoolhouse lilies (rhodophiala bifida) that I could trade - and depending on how big your crinum bulb is, I could put quite a few of those in a package to you!

Ever hopeful -
Lin

o

Hey, Ragna, found this as I was looking thro old messages....

is she still wanting crinums ?

I've got some I can contribute, but some may be mysteries.

email me personally, as I'm not here very often.

patty

o

If you want antique or heirloom that readily grow in Texas, then Southern Bulb Co. is your place. We have had a couple of their crinums for 2 years now.

Here is a link that might be useful: Southern Bulbs

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here