Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

On a Crinum kick (see link) but where to buy?

Hello everyone!

My friend Linda says she is on a crinum kick, but can't find a mail order source that carries a wide variety so that the shipping costs are not so high.

Does anyone here have any suggestions?

She provided this link to some beautiful crinums. Click on a variety name to see lots of pictures.

Here is a link that might be useful: PBSWiki -- Crinums

Comments (36)

• beachplant
    15 years ago

Plant trades.
    A shovel and drive around the state, they grow in ditches, abandoned lots, fields.....
    Tally HO!

• bossjim1
    15 years ago

Here's a place I have bookmarked. I've hever ordered any though.
    Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Marcelle's Crinums

• beachplant
    15 years ago

Is Marcelle back to shipping plants? She had been really ill and wasn't doing any mail orders.
    Tally

• bossjim1
    15 years ago

I don't know that she is, Tally, but her web site no longer has the notice that was up, that said she was not.
    Jim

• mikeandbarb
    15 years ago

Marcelle is the first place I thought of too. I checked the web site and it looks like she is back to selling again but only till Sept 30 so you need to get your order in soon.

Barb

• cynthianovak
    15 years ago

I ordered from this man / site before. The bulbs are HUGE.

Even if you don't order, you've gotta look at the pics and the growing info
    c

Here is a link that might be useful: crinums

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks to you all for the tips on two places to order!

Barb, I don't see a place to order, or prices, on Marcelle's site or anything about Sept 20. Will look again, but maybe you could tell me on which part of the site map you found that info.

Anyone else is welcome to add any places that you might know of.

• fool4flowers
    15 years ago

I got one from ebay and one that a gw friend shared with me.

• mikeandbarb
    15 years ago

Roselee, there is a green bar just below the picture that says .....Click here to view plants for sale page...

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Got it! Thanks Barb :-)

• beachplant
    15 years ago

I'm digging and selling ALL of mine! I'm rich! I'm rich!! I didn't see any variegated on her site either. I thought she had some.

Roselee-is your friend coming to the fall Mercer trade by any chance? If so let me know. I'll run around and dig her some up. You're on your own for names for the most part. Most of the ones I have access to are growing in ditches, old cemetaries, etc. so I've no idea what they are.
    Tally HO!

• little_dani
    15 years ago

I am digging and dividing very soon, and would be happy to share some if your friend is interested. I know I have Mrs. James Hendry, Ellen Bosanquet, Stars and Stripes, and several others that I will have to check on the names.

Let me know...
    Janie

• blancspons
    15 years ago

I've ordered crinums from Plant Delights Nursery before and was happy with the results.

www.plantdelights.com

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you very much Tally and Janie! I'm sending this link to Linda so she will see your very kind offers, but I doubt if she will be able to attend the Mercer swap or travel very far south. She lives near Seguin and as a nurse she has a full schedule. But you never can tell what we might do for plants! I'll let her get in touch with you if there is a way she can take advantage of your generosity.

BTW, some of you frequenting Rainbow Gardens on Thousand Oaks in San Antonio might remember Linda; blond, bouncy, very knowedable. (Yeah, that's you Linda :-) She worked there several years ago and that's where I met her.

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    15 years ago

I have bought some from Brent and Becky's bulbs, they were a very nice size (and I got one at their half-price sale in May so that was even better).

I have ordered several from Nestor on eBay (seller name bulbsnmore), and have been happy with his.

The nicest ones I've received have been those from Sylvia in Red Oak (and that's how I met her, trolling Craig's list for plants). One was as big as a coconut, the other was in a 5-gallon pot.

Lin

Here is a link that might be useful: ebay link for bulbsnmore

• weldontx
    15 years ago

I wish I had the pics on photo bucket, but I have a beautiful
    dark pink and the more common milky white with a pink stripe down the center of each petal. My bulbs will be quite large.
    roselee, you friend enough to come dig them up??? Might even
    include a rose.

Weldon

• beachplant
    15 years ago

Even us nurses get a day off now and again. But I understand with the price of gas not wanting to drive this far. However, it is for plants and we've all done things for plants we wouldn't for anything else. Really, I wouldn't get up and drive all the way across Houston to the other side of the world at 5 in the morning for anything EXCEPT the Mercer trade. And the Ft. Bend trade, and the new Katy trade.......
    Anyway, if she makes a trip to the shore tell her to let me know. We'll get a shovel and start digging.
    Tally HO!

• pricklypearsatx
    15 years ago

Rinbow Gardens on Bandera has queen emma and milk and wine. Brent and Becky's has an excellent selection, but will have to wait till to next spring to order from them.

However, Brent and Becky's offers one crinum variety in their fall catalog. Crinadonna

• carrie751
    15 years ago

If you come to dig at Weldon's, Roselee, might as well bounce on over to mine and dig up a few Tropical Giants.

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    15 years ago

After having looked at some of the youtubes from Southern Bulb, I would LOVE to have crinum Mrs. James Hendry (without paying $30 for it from Yucca Do :). If anyone has one they'd like to trade, I have some Oxblood/Schoolhouse lilies (rhodophiala bifida) that I could trade - and depending on how big your crinum bulb is, I could put quite a few of those in a package to you!

Ever hopeful -
    Lin

• castro_gardener
    15 years ago

Hey, Ragna, found this as I was looking thro old messages....

is she still wanting crinums ?

I've got some I can contribute, but some may be mysteries.

email me personally, as I'm not here very often.

patty

• dallasbill
    15 years ago

If you want antique or heirloom that readily grow in Texas, then Southern Bulb Co. is your place. We have had a couple of their crinums for 2 years now.

Here is a link that might be useful: Southern Bulbs

• Jenny Leerskov
    7 years ago

Anyone has Crinum Mrs. James Hendry bulbs for trade? I have Ellen Bosanquet bulbs available.

Thanks!

• Theresa Yates
    6 years ago

bulbs n more on ebay, seedman 01 on ebay in the spring sometimes, jenks farmer, & plants delight are about it anymore.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    6 years ago

How beautiful! And with you and all the reports saying it blooms repeatedly it sounds like one to have. It looks like it is available from several sources.

• margeetx
    6 years ago

LOVE,LOVE,LOVE it....... gonna get some. How much space does each bulb require? I miss my amyrillas that I grew in Ala and Ga. my M-I-L at the time gave me a bushel basket filled to the top with her bulbs. She always won all first place prizes in her Garden Club. But, Jezze, that was 30 years and a couple of husbands ago!!!!

• margeetx
    6 years ago

Alright, miss rose......I've spent hours on the I-pad looking at crinum stuff.....hours!!!!! See what you started.....

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked margeetx
  • roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Let us know what you end up getting .... :-)

• SALL20 (9a Houston)
    6 years ago

Most crinums do require a lot of room. Some get pretty tall and the leaves are long. They also make offsets, which increase their circumference. This is how you get a nice clump and multiple blooms. When planting, try to pick a forever spot. They do not like to be disturbed and may not bloom for a couple of years, when moved. They don't need to be divided every few years, like some bulbs do. A good smaller crinum is 'Summer Nocturne'. It is shorter and the leaves are not as long, so it requires less space. It does make offsets freely, so will increase that way. The bloom is white, blushed with pink. As you can tell, I love crinums and have grown quite a few over the years. I'm in my 4th garden now and hope not to move again.

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked SALL20 (9a Houston)
  • beachplant
    6 years ago

menehune is a dwarf getting only a foot or so tall, my Queen Emma is over 6' tall and about as wide.

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked beachplant
  • roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Tally, I wonder if Queen Emma is the variety that 40 years ago was the only plant growing in the Pt. Aransas cemetery. I used to tell people they should go and see them; that they were as big as Volkswagens.

I wouldn't mind having a start when you come to San Antonio again. I love bold tropical plants.

I also have a miniature crinum. It's white. I bought it from Chip's Hill Country Gardens years ago with no name, but I think it's Dwarf crinum 'West Indies mini' << scroll down a bit on the link. I've had a hard time keeping it going. I'll try to find a picture of mine.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    6 years ago

For anyone interested here is a photo of the dwarf crinum in bloom ...

You can get an idea of it's size relative to the dwarf pink penta ...

When visiting the Yuccado nursery they offered it to me and found it hard to believe I had already obtained it from Chip's place. Unfortunately Chip's Schumacher Hill Country Gardens is no long open, but the site is still up and has some interesting links on the sidebar including his Newsletters and Feedback that may be read by some of us for 'ole times sake'.

• bossyvossy
    6 years ago

Roselee I have what I bought as WI mini from eBay's bulbsandmore, but it has yet to bloom. Your foliage looks like mine. Looks like Nestor's pic on eBay

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked bossyvossy
  • roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks you Bossy. I'll go ahead and label mine as West Indies Mini.

• bossyvossy
    6 years ago

I have crinum x baconii Veracruz posted in the classified section of garden.org, for anybody interested.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm