Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debndal

Oxblood lilies are up and blooming

debndal
11 years ago

On a more pleasant note, some of my oxblood lilies are already up and blooming. Just a few, but seems a little early for them. Anybody elses showing signs of life yet?

Comments (14)

• Texan Gal
    11 years ago

Another common name for Oxblood Lilies is SchoolHouse Lilies, because they bloom when children are going back to school in the fall! Another common name for them is Surprise lily, because even the green leaves will go away and suddenly a bloom stalk appears. Love it!

• debndal
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, I guess mine knew that some schools started today, but I can remember when they didn't bloom till right after labor day, which is when I started to school years ago. They make me feel like fall can't be too far away, and it can't come top soon for me either!

• Lynn Marie
    11 years ago

NO WAY!!! It is way too early, isn't it? I have a bunch, but they aren't real crazy about blooming.

I call them spider lilies.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    11 years ago

Mine aren't up yet.

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

Mine started blooming last week too. I thought it was a little early and wondered if I made it happen by not watering for a long time and then suddenly watering again.

• debndal
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lynnmarie - my spider lilies aren't up yet either. Those are the ones I thought were also called surprise lilies. Just the oxblood lilies blooming so far. They're so cute! I hope they increased some more this year. You can't have too many of them. Rain lilies too. My pink rain lilies are going to town right now also, but I'm sure it's because of the rain we've been getting.

• Lynn Marie
    11 years ago

I think the reason I have so much trouble getting them to bloom is because they are in a bed with stuff that requires water throughout the summer. Spider lilies require neglect!

• beachplant
    11 years ago

it does seem early, seems to me it`s usually after that first cold snap that they bloom. Oh, well, they are too cute!
    Tally Ho!

• cynthianovak
    11 years ago

Oh No! I wonder what happened to mine? School started this week and you have them in Dallas. I need to go look under the 4-o'clocks.

Thanks for the report!
    c

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

Is the oxblood color the deep deep red? So pretty. ;o)

• EponaTX
    11 years ago

Mine are up. I'm so glad to finally find out what they are called. I purchased my little cottage last year and and am still in the process of learning about all the lovely things growing here.

• merrybookwyrm
    11 years ago

The chinese chives are starting to open their white blooms. Are the Oxbloods still blooming? The chinese chives and schoolhouse lilies might make pretty sections of massed blooms, although the leaves on both are pretty strappy.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

I'm getting in on the end of this conversation, but my school house lilies (oxblood) and lycoris radiata (spider lilies) are both blooming. I remember years ago my mother in law picked all her lycoris and made an arrangement for me for the anniversery of her son and my marriage which was Sept. 26. One site said rain brings on the blooming of lycoris so maybe that explains the different timing from year to year.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    11 years ago

My chives are blooming but not a peek of the oxbloods yet. In years past mine always bloom a month after everyone else here :-)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting