Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bossjim1

How invasive is Spiderwort?

bossjim1
12 years ago

I have several pots of really nice tropicals that I got from a gardening friend who was moving to Pennsylvania and didn't want to take them with her. In one pot, that contains a very nice velvety leaved, white veined alocasia, there is some spiderwort growing. Do I want to turn it loose in my flower bed,or is it to hard to get rid of?

Jim

Comments (8)

• ExoticRGVNativesTy
    12 years ago

It depends on the species, I guess. I've experienced significant difficulty in eliminating Wandering Jew. Some say only to plant Heep's Spiderwort in containers, but I have planted it in a dry flower bed below the eaves of the house. These succulents certainly are hardy, so I'd probably play it safe and remove it from the pot, especially if you don't know what species it is.

Ty

• carrie751
    12 years ago

Jim, I have two varieties.......one is the blue one that grows in the wild, and it spreads, but is easily pulled up. The other one I have is purple (bought it, but have long since lost the tag) and it, too, spreads and seemingly throws seeds as I find it in strange places. They are easily pulled when young, but I would be careful about the placement in the bed.

• melvalena
    12 years ago

I've never had an issue with mine. once the clumps get large enough, I divide and spread around. I've only ever planted it in dappled shade though.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    12 years ago

I bought a purple one from Lowes bargin bin, and planted it in 2009. Last year, my neighbor next door had at least 10 plants growing in his grass. I went over there dug them up and brought them home. I just love them. Barbra

• bossjim1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for your responses. I think I'll keep some in a pot for awhile before I decide to plant it in a bed.
    Jim

• ltcollins1949
    12 years ago

I have the Widow's Tears, Blue Spiderwort Commelina coelestis that come up in some of my beds as volunteers. If I want them, I leave them, and if not, I pull them up. They are fairly easy to control. And they are pretty and bees like them!

• bossjim1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Linda, I think that is probably the one I have. This year, the bees like everything. I don't think I've ever seen the like. All summer long, it's been honey bees, bumble bees, carpenter bees, and little native bees on everything that's blooming. There hasn't been a day that the coral vine wasn't completely covered up with honey bees.
    Jim

• soxxxx
    12 years ago

One of my rural friends has a vacant area near her house that is (was) covered with spiderworts. There were blues, purples and a few pinks. I dug all colors, but only the blue is still thriving in my bed.

Notice that I said "was" because I do not know if any survived this severe drought. She did not plant them.
    She did not even notice them until I pointed them out to her a few years ago.