Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
glitter_and_guns

Suggest a tree for me?

glitter_and_guns
10 years ago

Thanks for any suggestions that you might have for a tree for my back yard. I need a larger, faster growing tree that will live in a fairly clay type soil in DFW area. It will be in full sun and it will be assigned the job of blocking sun from a patio/pool area.

I am looking for:

Quick growing
large
clay soil/drought tolerant (I can water some, but it can't be a water hog)
nothing that is "blowing bits" messy (like a cotton wood)
I like the idea of evergreen

Thoughts?

Comments (13)

• paradisecircus
    10 years ago

Hi there! I've been doing the same thing. Been looking at all different kinds of trees to put on the west side (full sun) of our property to shade the house from setting sun. We have clay soil as well. I've been doing a lot of reading and research in order to find the right one (size, spread, sun/soil needs, etc.) A few things I've learned-- I also originally wanted a large, quick growing shade tree but found that most trees that grow quickly are not very strong and/or do not live very long. Evergreens are a great idea but most evergreens seem, by nature, to grow very slowly as well. The upside to that being that they live longer and stay foliated in the winter.

I realized that the better option would be to go with a tree that is adapted to our part of Texas and is tough, strong and drought tolerant. Reliability and longevity. Here are some I've been considering--

Ginko (slow growing, deciduous, long lived)
    Magnolia Grandiflora (very large, evergreen, a little messy IMO)
    Cedar Elm (strong, deciduous, grows in clay soil)
    Texas Ash (strong, long lasting, choose a male to avoid seed/fruit drop)

• bostedo: 8a tx-bp-dfw
    10 years ago

Suggest looking at the Nanjing Beauty Bald/Montezuma Cypress hybrid(s) or straight Montezuma Cypress for large evergreen tree in north Texas. Lou_midlothian_tx provided some great inputs with photos of trees in the Dallas area in this GW thread: Pond Cypress vs Bond Cypress in north Texas.

Apparent advantages of the hybrids are high tolerance of our alkaline clay soil, fast growth (relative to other cypress, anyway), and no knees.... oh, and leaf retention if you don't prefer that bald look.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    10 years ago

+1 for Texas Ash - a great tree for our area that should be used more.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    10 years ago

Montezuma cypress is a fast growing semi-evergreen tree. It stays green into winter before displaying "winter" color then start leafing out late Feburary/early March.

If you don't mind taking a trip to Stephen F Austin State University in Nacogdoches for fall Plant if they are offering either regular or one of Montezuma-Bald hybrid. It's on October 5th. SFA source Mountezuma cypress seem to have consistent good form compared to others that I have seen in the nurseries. Others tend to have wild form that may not please you so try SFA if possible.

Here is a link that might be useful: Taxodium hybrid

• lou_spicewood_tx
    10 years ago

Glitter,

If you plant MC, it is best that you water it deeply and consistently when dry spell hits so it will keep growing fast every year till it reaches your height goal. You have clay soil and hopefully deep one that will hold a lot of moisture for the cypress to take advantage of. It can easily reach 30-40 ft after 10 years if done right. If it rains a lot at the right timing, it could be 5-7 ft of growth in a year! That's what I saw at my mom's in IT'S FIRST YEAR. I haven't seen that kind of weather since then though. I was hoping for a repeat to see if that happens again. Rainfall water seems to be way better than tap water for maximum growth for sure.

• cynthianovak
    10 years ago

I'm reading carefully because I will have the opportunity to plant a shade tree of my choice soon too! I was thinking about Shantung Maple: Lou, I know you have several, what do you think of one facing west? I have one as an understory tree and it is growing very slowly but it is a beautiful tree.
    I have a seed planted tree that grows quickly. I've actually cut it down a couple of times, then gave up. It's in morning sun only and at first I thought it was something else.

NOW I think it is a Golden Rain Tree because I see the buds forming for next year. There is one in a neighbor's yard that is enormous. Anyone have thoughts on this tree in the sun?

• paradisecircus
    10 years ago

Ooh I've had my eye on Shantung Maples as well! But I think I'll save those for the backyard. I'd really love a Shantung and Japanese maple in my backyard.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    10 years ago

Cynthia,

Shantung maples will do fine facing west. That's what I had at my old house. I was in the old neighborhood earlier this summer and all the SMs looked good. 3 of them look to be at least 20 ft tall (they were planted in 2005/6). I may have overdid it with 8 Shantung maples and 3 Montezuma Cypress and one Bald cypress. It's going to look like a forest if the new homeowners decide to keep all of them. Lol. Won't be long before they get much needed shade from the sun...

Because of old Escarpment live oaks taking up half of backyard and no corner lot so I don't have as much space to plant that many trees. I have 4 Montezuma cypress (2 in front and 2 in back) and 3 Shantung Maples (one in front - Blaine's Dragon and two in back - Skinny Dragon and Super Dragon).

• cynthianovak
    10 years ago

Thanks Lou!

• lou_spicewood_tx
    10 years ago

Cynthia,

My Skinny Dragon is growing a lot in its first year, over 3 feet already all over. It was a stick when I got it last winter. My first one at the old house grew 5 ft in its first year but it is supposed to stay small so I dunno but it is the closest thing to having Japanese Maple in the full sun for their narrow lobes if anyone wants that type of leaf.

Super Dragon is pretty cool one. Almost yellowish color leaves that stands out against anything. It may benefit from afternoon shade but I don't know. I haven't had it long enough to see if it can withstand full brunt scorching sun in the summer after it's established.

Keep an eye on Metro Maples website or contact them to see maybe if you can be put on waiting list? They get sold out rather quickly.

• cynthianovak
    10 years ago

Thanks Lou! :+)

• running_gardener
    10 years ago

A lace bark elm has small leaves which provide filtered shade rather than deep shade. It grows relatively quickly,
    its canopy will eventually be between 45-60'. I've had mine for 8 years and am surprised how big it's gotten in that period of time. No nasty big roots or acorns!

• lou_spicewood_tx
    10 years ago

Running gardener, lacebark elm sure grow very fast. If anyone wants shade right away, this is the tree! It is crucial that it be properly be pruned to raise canopy because the branches can get thick pretty early on if you wait to long.

Lacebark elm produces millions of small seeds that seem to get blown everywhere far away. I've had to get rid of a bunch in my garden beds with Lacebark Elm trees so far away from my house.

I am fond of 'Bosque' cultivar if I had to pick one.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus