Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rocks911

What's best for afternoon sun and reflected heat

rocks911
11 years ago

I live in the north Dallas area.

I have a strip about 2 feet wide that runs down my garage that gets intense afternoon sun and radiated heat from a sidewalk and brick wall.

What will grow here?

It is sprinkled and I have amended the soil but thus far most everything burns up.

I have planted miniature roses, actually got them from a grocery store in the flower section, Tom Thumb to be exact.

While they are doing O.K. some are pretty burned up.

I'm about to concrete the strip and be done with it.

Comments (9)

• ExoticRGVNativesTy
    11 years ago

I would try xeriscaping the area with plants such as Black Dalea, Prairie Acacia and Arkansas Yucca. These are all native to the Dallas area and should stay within the bounds of the strip.

Ty

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

Rosemary will grow there too, but it may get too wide.

• houstontexas123
    11 years ago

you can put up a simple trellis on the side of the garage and plant some native honeysuckles(lonicera), or most any other vines.

i've had my native lonicera for 2-3 years, they are slow growers. i have a japonica (Japanese or Hall's honeysuckle), they are considered invasive and grow super fast and cover up everything, and the vines on the ground will root and become a ground cover. i also have a carolina jasmine, it grows fairly vigorously, but not as much as the japonica.

• jardineratx
    11 years ago

Texas Tea Bush (melochia tomentosa), santolina, artemisia, flame acanthus, bulbine, mexican hat (ratibida) are some of the plants that have done well for me in the conditions you speak of, although the flame acanthus will need hard pruning a couple of times a year to keep in that space.
    Molly

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

Where can you buy melochia tomentosa? I did a search and only came up with one website, Native Enhancements. Has anyone purchased from them?

• lucas_tx_gw
    11 years ago

Is that Texas Tea Bush hardy in North Texas?

• jardineratx
    11 years ago

Marti, I purchased my tea bush at a local nursery (in the natives section) and I have seen it in a couple of other nurseries since then.
    Lucas, this is the hardiness info on melochia tomentosa from the dave's gardenweb site:
    Hardiness:
    USDA Zone 8a: to -12.2 �C (10 �F)
    USDA Zone 8b: to -9.4 �C (15 �F)
    USDA Zone 9a: to -6.6 �C (20 �F)
    USDA Zone 9b: to -3.8 �C (25 �F)
    USDA Zone 10a: to -1.1 �C (30 �F)
    USDA Zone 10b: to 1.7 �C (35 �F)
    USDA Zone 11: above 4.5 �C (40 �F)

Molly

• nccmama
    11 years ago

I have a similar area that gets baked near a sidewalk. I have blackfoot daisy, zexmenia, red yucca, four nerve daisy, salvia greggii planted there, and all do very well. You also might try guara, but it likes a bit more water, in my experience. Lamb's ears might work, too.

• merrybookwyrm
    11 years ago

My folks had an old-fashioned rose of sharon and old-style nandina on the west side of their house in Dallas. They may have been planted in a 3 foot strip rather than a 2 foot one, though. The althea/rose of sharon lasted more than 30 years; the nandina is still there. They never pruned either much if at all. Their house was on blackland clay.