Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplanting Coral Bells

Posted by kam20 TX (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 2, 10 at 10:48

Having moved to Dallas from Ohio, I'm fairly new to gardening in Texas. Lots of trial and error. I'm not terribly knowledgable, so please bear with me. I have a lovely coral bell that I thought was doing so well in full sun. I trimmed back a large marigold that was evidently protecting it, and now it's looking sad. With the temperatures in the 100's this week, would it be too stressful to move this plant to a partial shade spot now? Or should I protect it as best I can and move it later on itn the fall? Thanks in advance for any comments or tips, I'll truly appreciate it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplanting Coral Bells

It's definitely too hot to transplant anything right now so best to protect it. If you have something to shade it like a box or old sheet/curtains use that.

As you are learning, full sun here in Texas is different from Ohio. It's much more intense and stays hotter longer during daylight hours. We generally ignore the "full sun" tag at the nursery unless it is a plant known to prefer full sun.

My Coral Bells are doing well in a pot in full shade. I use containers a lot because of the flexibility to move them in and out of shade and sun locations.

o

It seems to me that getting it to a cooler, shadier location would help it more than leaving it in the heat & trying to protect it there.

I my own self would dig it up, disturbing the roots as little as possible, pot it up, & keep it in the shade for the summer.

Whatever you decide, I hope your plant recovers & does well.

o

Sylvia has a good point. If it looks like it won't make it where it is then best to dig it up and baby it in the shade.

Dig it up in the evening so it has the best chance.

o

Thanks to both of you for your replies. This little plant is starting to get crispy, so I am going to move it this evening to a shady spot. At this point, shading it where it is isn't doing much. I'll pamper it, and hopefully it will recover.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here