Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fall vegetable garden

Posted by Lanea none (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 3, 11 at 10:50

So I'm new to gardening and to Texas. I am wanting to do a fall garden but with this heat I'm not sure what grows. Any info would be much appreciated. I know I should be planting now if I want a fall garden but is anything going to survive this heat?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fall vegetable garden

Hi and welcome, we're getting lots of new folks this week which is nice.

I've attached an overview from the Extension Service. It's pretty simple, but will give you an idea. You can search the site for other info. There are many tomato varieties developed just for Texas spring or fall planting. The smaller and faster maturing the better for this type of gardening. My cherry tomato plant from the spring is still green and growing but not producing right now so they can survive the heat.

If you have a specific question in the future, it's easier for us to answer questions if we know what part of the state you are in.

There are so many things you can plant now. The beets and dill I planted from seed a few weeks ago are already up and going well even in this heat. I will plant lettuce seeds in September to grow all winter. Lettuce survives even the coldest days in my garden. Basil is very happy in this heat too.

Watering is the key to keeping the garden going in the heat.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fall Garden in Texas

o
RE: Fall vegetable garden

I live in Travis county and this is the planting schedule that I use. I got it by googling "Travis county planting schedule, agrilife". I have printed three of four of these up and laminated them. I have them in the car, plant shed, desk and on my seed box. I know I am a tad obsessive. Good luck. The winter garden is my favorite garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: Planting schedule.

o
RE: Vegetable garden

My watering restrictions due to that I need to truck water in will have me not planting this year till we get some dependable rain. Predictions are bad so I think I am not going to fight it and do some work building soil and working on a drip system. My soil is so dry that I can water till kingdom come and all I have is NADA. I am moving some things to pots because they it takes less to water to keep them going..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here