Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
honeybunny2_gw

Getting ready for winter freeze in Texas

honeybunny2 Fox
12 years ago

I remember two years ago an old farmer told me, since we had a hugh crop of acorns, and the summer had so many hot days, we would have a freeze at the coast. I did not believe him, since 1994 we only had 7 minutes of freezing weather. What was he thinking? I never had to did up or cover anything. Then it happened 3 days of weather below 32 degrees. Thinking it would never happen again in the spring of 2010 I ordered replacement plumeria, and desert roses. Replaced the cuban royals palms with queen palms, and went on. The summer of 2010 we had even more acorns and hot days then the previous year. Then in Feb 2011 we had two seperate freezes. I lost plants I planted in 1995, all my brugmansia( which were covered with sheets), my hugh pigmy palms, and the 3 queen palms that replaced the ones I lost in 2009. Thank goodness, the plumeria and desert roses were stored in the garage. This summer the acorns were so thick you could not walk barefoot in our yard, the summer days are the hottest recorded in the history of Texas. What do you think I am doing? I am buying every 5 gallon pot I can get at a reasonable price. I am moving everything inside in November, problem is we only have a 3 car garage. Barbra

Comments (28)

• greybird
    12 years ago

Go to growersupply.com. You can get the 5 gallon nursery pots by the case (50 I think) for cheaper. That is, if you don't care it's not decorative.

Good luck!!

• Carla
    12 years ago

Last winter during the 3 or 4 days when it got down to 15 at my house I lost a lot of my potted plants due to the rolling blackouts. I had them in a small greenhouse (shelf with a zippered cover) outside with a small light bulb for heat. Most everything in there was lost, so I really don't have many plants to worry about this year. The few I have I will just bring inside.

Carla in Leander

• ltcollins1949
    12 years ago

Barbra, you are so much more into saving plants than I am! LOL! I put them in the ground and tell them to either grow or die! Actually I've lost more plants this summer than I did during the last freezes. In fact, the only thing I lost in the freezes was that big old rubber tree that I didn't like anyway. BTW, you can come down and see if I have some extra pots for you.

• flowerlover78
    12 years ago

I am with you barbara (oh and the cannas I got from you look great! I still have them in pots though- I was waiting on wetter weather, and that did not happen)- I am bringing everything in this winter. I have lots of plants on the porch that I intended to plant however the weather never panned out. We have several cows, and I have talked with lots of farmers and all agree this winter is going to be bad. Weather wise, hay wise, all around. Watch out as meat prices are going to be on the rise as well- as people sell off what they have. We have been trucking hay in- all of my animals are fine- And I have yet to lose anything too important plant wise. You should see if you can get pots at the plant swap in OCT. I wish I could help you on that one- but myself have only 2 pots left. I have started lots of clippings right now, in a box method- and do not even have pots to put them in-

• pjtexgirl
    12 years ago

I overwinter my brug with cuttings saved over winter in a vase like a flower! LOL! You can also do this with Plumeria I'm told. Strangely, I didn't lose my brug in ground.It was covered with a plastic flower pot over winter. We had 3 days of 10 degree weather so I was surprised it lived. The other tropicals I have go in the garage. My Sabal Palm lived uncovered. It was only 2 yrs old and small. I was surprised at that too. I believe the saying about the brutal summer/crap winter.

• User
    12 years ago

Thanks for the information. Now I can start planning for winter. I thought we would have a very mild one this year.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have been buying 3-5-and 10 gallon glazed pots( thank goodness for Ross), so I can keep them in the yard during the season. The problem is they only carry 2 or 3 of the same pots. I have been trying to at least keep the same color in one flowerbed. I have 20 pots so far. I told Gary, I want a GOOD dolly for christmas. I have enought black pots to finish, if I do not find the glazed ones. I wish I would not have given away the 15 gallon black pots that the palm trees came in. I never thought we would have another freeze, they were so big to store. I plan to have everything in the garage by Thanksgiving. I am just putting up the tropical plants, the others will remain in the ground. Barbra

• pjtexgirl
    12 years ago

"I want a GOOD dolly for christmas" I'm going to show this to my DH Barbara. This is how the holiday calls back home sound:
    "We had a great time mom"
    "I got some gift cards, movies and stuff"
    "A chainsaw"
    "A chainsaw"
    "No really, she WANTED one and has been hinting since last Christmas."
    "She's outside right now...yes...testing it".

• soxxxx
    12 years ago

I have no acorns on my trees this year, but plenty of horribly hot days. What is the prediction for me?

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Right now I do not have any acorns, but have hundreds of baby oak trees coming up everywhere. They are easy to pull up, the acorn is still attached to the small tree. Barbra

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

PJ, I love to watch people faces when I tell them what Bob got me for my birthday ... "a load of manure" ... LOL

Lucky for me my birthday falls in Feb. -- the perfect time for spreading the "joy".

• ltcollins1949
    12 years ago

A couple of years ago, my DH Terry got me a Black & Decker Cordless Drill for my birthday!! I love it! Barbra, I do have the black plastic 1 gal. pots if you want to come and get some next time you are here.

• pjtexgirl
    12 years ago

Lol Roselee! Who doesn't want poop for thier birthday?
    I would love a cordless drill but I need a grinder first.

• flowerlover78
    12 years ago

I am wanting a good spotlight, this year haha. but a dolly would be nice too.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

All us gardening ladies should have a good dolly. I got one several years ago at Walmart for $20.00. It's one of those things I don't think I could garden without. Now if it just some sort of foot operated lift on it that would be perfect. I wonder if there is such a thing? Probably yes, but very expensive.

And I've spend many a night working under lights. You might say it's a real cool item!

Here is a link that might be useful: Yep, expensive ...

• weldontx
    12 years ago

For all you folks looking for pots: FIND A LANDSCAPER.
    Offer to take the excess pots off his hands. He'll love you for not having to haul them to the dumpster. Ever tried dumpster diving??? p.s. anyone near Keller??? got a few 3's

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I do not need any more black plastic pots, but thanks anyway. I use these and the 5 gallon pots to cover plants in the ground, when it freezes. I put a brick on top, to cover the holes and keeps the wind from blowing it away. I just wish I would have kept those 15 gallon pots, to cover the large plants. I JUST WAS NOT THINKING WHEN I GAVE THEM AWAY THIS SPRING. Barbra

• bossjim1
    12 years ago

Barbra, if you have to use black nursery pots with your glazed pots, you can spray paint them with Fusion paint. It is formulated to chemically bond with plastic and comes in lots of colors.
    Jim

• ckap
    12 years ago

Jim can you please give me some more information on the Fusion paint.
    Chaya

• bossjim1
    12 years ago

Here you go.
    Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Fusion spray paint

• ckap
    12 years ago

Thank You.I will surely give it a try.

Chaya

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jim, Home Depot sells it, I am going tomorrow to see if I can get a few cans of patriotic blue. They do not have a Home Depot, just Lowes, so I will need to get it before I go down tomorrow. Thanks, for the information. Barbra

• melvalena
    12 years ago

honeybunny2, I've seen it at WalMart.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    12 years ago

I was gonna say, Wal Mart carries it here. Fusion is pretty inexpensive too!

Barbra, sorry that you lost your brugs and perplexed. They should have come back from roots. Mine all did, even the ones that weren't particularly protected. We were below 32 for probably 5 days in a row last winter.

This summer is rougher on them than the cold was. I have some that have shed all of their leaves and the stalks have turned yellow.

• carrie751
    12 years ago

Worst brug year EVER for me !!!!!

• flowerlover78
    12 years ago

I love the painting idea- I am going to pick some up at Walmart my next trip- thanks so much for the idea!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I just got back from Lowes, I went to see if they carried fusion paint. I had the lady check the price of a pot, to see if maybe they were marked down. The price in the store was $26.74, basketweave looking design 18 inches. They had 2 colors, I took both to have her check the price. Sometimes things are on sale, and not marked. The gold one was on sale for $9.74, the blue one rang up $3.74, I bought 12 of the blue ones, for less than $50. Now I do not even need to buy the fusion paint, I can just start potting up those plants. Thank you Jim, I would never have gone today, except for the paint. Barbra

• linda_tx8
    12 years ago

I did read something saying this winter would be really cold. But then, too, these were probably the same geniuses who thought that La Nina was over earlier this year and that Irene was going to be a really off-the-charts very severe hurricane! So as usual, I'll just wait-and-see what happens! Mother nature will give us what she gives us.