Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone familiar with salvia varieties?

Posted by msrose zone8TX (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 11, 12 at 11:10

I've been noticing a particular salvia around town and I'd love to plant it next year. I usually see it planted at businesses and apartment complexes. It stays short and is a bright purple, so it really stands out. The salvia I planted in the past starts to look tall and lanky after awhile, but this one stays nice and neat. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone familiar with salvia varieties?

is it a purple salvia greggii ? Can you get a picture of it and post it here ?

maybe it's a mesa purple ?

could it be russian sage ? That's a little taller though.

o

It's shorter than all of those. I'll try and take a picture the next time I'm that direction.

o

Is it Salvia sylvestris 'Blue Hill' perhaps? I always thought of it as a salvia for cooler climates, but when I saw it growing at ARE I bought several plants and it's done well. It lived through last summer's drought so I bought a few more this spring. So far so good this summer too. It does best where it gets afternoon shade and moderate water.

Here is a link that might be useful: Salvia sylvestris 'Blue Hill' ...

o

The office park that I work in has a fabulous display of Henry Duelberg in late spring. The purple is just nearly cobalt blue and blooms for a long time.

o

Maybe mealy blue sage

o

ok, here's the pictures!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

It definitely looked prettier earlier in the summer, but it still doesn't look bad.

o

The leaf looks like greggi

o

I'm pretty sure it's Angelonia, also called 'summer snapdragon'. It's a great plant for Texas' summer. Comes in colors like white, pink, lavender and purple. It's considered an annual, but sometimes winters over. I have several plants in the purple, but next year I'm buying a whole flat of them.

o

I have pink and purple in containers as they DEFINITELY do not overwinter up here.

o

Roselee - I think you're right! I actually bought 2 white Angelonia this year and I just went out and looked at it and it does look the same. I guess I associate purple with salvia and never thought about it being something else. Thank you!

o

That is Angelonia. There are several varieties and they come in white, lavender, purple, pink, and some bi-color. They do look a little like some salvia varities, but they don't have the foliage/stem odor.
Molly

o

looks like Angelonia to me too. Recently read that they have really hardy varieties now. Think I read that in the Dallas paper. Don't know if it said they overwinter but did say that laugh at the heat.
c

o
RE: Anyone familiar with salvia varieties?2

you might look at this. Texas Superstar

Here is a link that might be useful: Angelonia Serena Series

o

I agree with the angelonia identification as well, but there is a newer, more compact series of salvia greggii called the mesa series. This article says that these new varieties stay more compact than other salvia greggii varieties, so if you think that your other salvias are too leggy, you might want to look at these.

Here is a link that might be useful: salvia greggii - mesa series

o

Oh! I like the smaller Greggii also. I wonder if it will be easy to find next year.

o

Angelonia, look at the flowers. Great plant for our heat. I have had it come back for 2-3 years.
Tally Ho!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here