Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kiko_gw

Ideas for Small Trees/Shrubs for Sad Side Yard

kiko_gw
11 years ago

We have a long strip on the EAST side of our house that currently mostly is grass. We want to plant some small trees or shrubs there this month. A few years ago, we planted 3 wax myrtles (shown at the top of the plan by asterisks, pic below) that form a nice hedge between our driveway and our neighbors and 3 Natchez crepe myrtles (shown at the bottom of the plan with x's, pic below) that provide some nice interest. I created this layout using an old house survey and pencils (which is why it's kind of chicken-scratchy). The red line is where we want to plant some trees/shrubs. The purple/pink areas mark where there are windows (I really don't want to see the neighbors house when I look out the windows and currently have these windows frosted on top so I don't see the house next door) but clear on the bottoms (so I can see the stone retaining wall which we like). I think we need to stick with smaller trees/shrubs due to the size of the area. Long term, I'd love to have a curving stone walkway and beds but thought we should start with trees and shrubs for now??? [I'd also really love, long term, to have a board on board fence here but nobody knows what to do about the retaining wall. The wall is on our property but the top of the wall is our neighbors and I don't want the fence in front of the wall...] What would you plant/do here?

Our current trees/shrubs elsewhere:

1 Bald weeping cypress, 7 live oaks, 8 wax myrtles, 2 natchez crepe myrtles, 1 random white crepe myrtle, 3 (struggling) little gem magnolias, 1 possumhaw holly, 1 yaupon holly tree, 1 random holly limbed up to a tree, 5 dahoon hollies, 1 princeton elm, boxwood border around pool, indian hawthorn shrubs in front, Viburnum Sandankwa under gazebo, 3 japanese maples under gazebo area, 2 italian cypress-under attack by bagworms :(, struggling purple smoke tree, 3 random junipers, lorepetalum trees.

CHICKEN SCRATCH LAYOUT

CURRENT CREPE MYRTLES IN FRONT OF SIDE YARD

CURRENT WAX MYRTLES IN BACK OF SIDE YARD.......... and............. SAD SIDE YARD

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!