Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mkull_gw

Southern Lady Pieris PP23584

MKull
9 years ago

Pieris japonica 'Greprs'
Southern Lady Pieris PP23584

A fun time of the year is starting, when the big box stores are beginning their markdowns. This newer cultivar slowly matures to 6-8' tall, 4-6' wide, is heat tolerant (yay) and loves the shade, so I read. I see the 3 gallon pots online for $40. I picked up a beautiful 3 gallon yesterday for $3.

Anyone else in S. TX growing them and care to chime in on their care? If I were a betting man I'd wager roselee has one tucked in somewhere.

Comments (7)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

I know nothing about that plant, but for $3.00 I would have got it and asked questions later ... LOL. It's beautiful!!!

At which Lowes did you find it? I'm assuming Lowes because they 'usually' have the best mark downs.

Unfortunately "my" Lowes on 10 and Callaghan has a new manager who only marks a few plants down 50% and they are as near dead as you can get; (actually some offered recently were VERY obviously DEAD!) broken bags are 10 to 20% off depending how much material is lost, and if you find a broken bag they won't mark it down until evening when the manager is standing there okaying it; plus they dont't seem to have near as many plants overall.

I'm wondering if this is a store wide policy or just this manager. If "your" store still has the bargains I'll have to drive a lot further to take advantage of them.

This post was edited by roselee on Fri, Aug 1, 14 at 12:30

• MKull
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Correct on the Lowes. I stop by and zip through the garden centers whenever I'm near one. "My" Lowes is 35/O'Connor or 1604/Blanco but I got this plant at the one in Selma, on 35/Schertz Parkway (close to the old Garden Ridge). They had 6 or 7 racks of 50-70% off and they mostly looked really good for markdowns. I got the only Pieris that was there. I'm at the Forum all the time so I'm going to start heading out there more often. They take really good care of their plants at that one.

• MKull
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ooh now I want the Mountain Fire variety!
    They like slightly acidic soil so I think I'll wait and see how I do with this one before tracking down a mountain fire or any other varities.

Here is a link that might be useful: Video info

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

Thanks, Mkull. Lowes often has good deals at The Rim location, or used to anyway. It's just more out of the way for me.

• Brazoria
    9 years ago

I bought mine this fall, but at my favorite Bay City nursery, and paid way more than $3.00. It has just started to bloom.

• liz_h
    9 years ago

These are gorgeous! Any idea how well they fare farther north?

• Brazoria
    9 years ago

It is rated up to zone 6, and this variety is mentioned as being heat tolerant, so I am thinking this plant usually does better further north. There are other varieties that are happy even further north.