Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
auntiem79

figs

auntiem79
9 years ago

I can't find figs anywhere near me. I hear they grow well in central TX. Has anyone attempted it? And is Brown Turkey better than Texas Everbearing?

Comments (11)

• mrs.wiggley
    9 years ago

I don't know where you are, but I see figs all over the place in the hill country and all the big box stores sell them. Of course that is usually in early spring or fall when its best to plant them so inventories may lapse in mid summer.. I live rurally and haven't been able to grow them myself (or much of anything) in the last few years because of the grasshoppers. They eat everything and a young tree just doesn't have a chance to get started. However it seems that most of the figs I've seen in town that are thriving are placed close enough to a house to benefit from the added rain runoff from the roof. So I'm guessing they need that to really thrive. I think both types you mentioned do well. You might also consider a Celeste.

• sienna_98
    9 years ago

Love figs. They take up a large amount of space, so you need to plan for that (pretty much as wide as they are tall). I have one that is young (and it has taken all summer for it come back after the several freezes we had this past winter), but my neighbor's tree is mature. Hers suffered some damage to the top where it wasn't protected by the privacy fence, but the rest of it is fine and healthy. I water, but only if we go a week without rain. My fig is Brown Turkey, but I think my neighbor's is Celeste. I bought mine as a bare root and planted in February two years ago.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

Figs grow well even in my thin soil with rocks and solid caliche underneath. I planted them in the access area in back of my fence and they never even get watered, but produce best when we have rain like this year. Some recommended varieties I've planted are Celest and Alma. I also grow my Uncle Nap's honey fig, an heirloom which he brought from Arkansas almost a hundred years ago. It very sweet, has a closed end, and is my favorite. Another excellent fig is the dwarf Petite nigri. I've been enjoying them for a couple of weeks now, but had to cover it with a net to keep the mocking birds out of it. Nice thing is that's it's small enough to enable me to do that.

Here is a link that might be useful: Petite nigri fig tree ...

• sienna_98
    9 years ago

I've not seen the Petite nigri fig Roselee. Do you recall where you found it? (I'm in the Austin area).

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

It was years ago when friend had ordered it mail order and a very poor speciment arrived. He complained and they sent him another one. They both survived and not needing two trees he gave me one of them.

I see you live in Austin. If you come to the fall San Antonio swap I could pass along some cuttings. I seem to remember cuttings do best if taken in the fall, kept in the fridge for the winter, and planted in the spring, but research on that is needed to confirm.

This post was edited by roselee on Mon, Aug 4, 14 at 19:32

• annieinaustin
    9 years ago

One of the vendors at the Cedar Park Farmers Market had some young fig plants in containers - maybe 10 days ago. I don't remember the name of the vendor but before ordering a fig via mail order it might be worth hitting a few farmers markets.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

Annie, come to think of it I've seen fig plants for sale at farmer's markets also so that could be a good source.

I went out to ground layer some stems from Uncle Nap's honey fig and Petite nigri. While messing around I found three rooted stems I was able to separate from Petite nigri and potted them up. No such luck with Uncle Nap's fig tree, but I ground layered several stems so maybe by fall or next spring they will have rooted and I can pass them along.

• sienna_98
    9 years ago

Thanks. I know I haven't seen any at my local farmer's market (other than the standards: Celeste/Brown Turkey). I'll keep an eye out and maybe ask at Natural Gardener next time I'm there. Otherwise I'll pay attention to the Fall San Antonio swap. :)

• auntiem79
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank You so much for all the info. I'm in Bangs. I'll hit up the Brownwood farmers market and the surrounding towns. That is a great idea. I'm so glad they do well here. Rosalee you are so sweet, but I'm about 3 1/2 hours away. I'm so excited there is something that may grow in my yard. :)

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    9 years ago

Go to the fig forum.

Don't get a Brown Turkey. It's flavor is low on the scale of what is available. Like most fruits there are hundreds of varieties of figs.

I have 20+ varieties myself in hot Southern California. They are easily grown from cuttings. Check craigs list too.

My favorites are Violette De Bordeaux, Verte, Mary Lane Seedless, Flanders, Kadota, Panachee, Bourjosotte Gris, and Adriatic. Many of my trees are small, and not producing yet, so others may rise to the top.

Good luck finding your first fig tree.

• auntiem79
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks desertdance! I didn't know about the fig forum! I was wondering about taste.

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts