Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruthz_gw

Yellow Bird

ruthz
10 years ago

Last year I thought I saw a yellow bird in the yard, but just for a minute.
This morning I saw one and got a picture (not a good one thou).
Any input as to what kind it is and what will attract it to spend more time in the yard.

Comments (15)

• ruthz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

another shot

• ruthz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

last one

• bostedo: 8a tx-bp-dfw
    10 years ago

Nice! Maybe a female American Goldfinch?

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1365252}}

• Vulture61
    10 years ago

Yellow Warbler, maybe?

Omar

Here is a link that might be useful: Yellow Warbler

• cynthianovak
    10 years ago

Is this him? I have not spotted one this year, but have seen one on occasion near a fountain. c

Here is a link that might be useful: Kinglet

• carrie751
    10 years ago

I have had a pair of ruby crowned kinglets for several winters, but they have little yellow on them. I hope someone can identify this little bird as I would also like to know what he is.

• ruthz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This bird seeded to be mostly yellow with some dark on the wings. This picture was under the patio umbrella on a brugmansia branch. It also moved to several places in the crape myrtle bush. I was busy trying to get a picture instead of looking at the bird, so I don't have any idea what it is. I'm going to watch for it today. I couldn't get a good shot because I was inside and was afraid it would leave if I opened the door. We have various feeders around the patio, but it didn't show interest in any of them.

This post was edited by ruthz on Sun, Aug 18, 13 at 9:22

• carrie751
    10 years ago

Ruth, from the shape of the bill, I am thinking Omar may be right....................it could be a warbler. Look that one up and see what you think.

• ruthz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Carrie, I think maybe it is a warbler. I haven't had a chance to "birdwatch" today yet, but I'm going to now. Hopefully it will show up. I put out some orange slices in addition to the 4 feeders already there.

• carrie751
    10 years ago

I hope he comes back for you and wasn't just "passing through" as many do.

• annieinaustin
    10 years ago

You might also want to check out Nashville warblers - we see them around Austin fairly frequently. I've linked to a local birder with good photos.

Annie

Here is a link that might be useful: Birding on Broadmeade- Nashville warblers

• ruthz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Saw a yellow bird again today. I was watering against the west fence and it flew into a small shrub right in front of me. Of course I didn't have my camera. When I came back out with the camera, it was in the tall crape myrtles. This is the best picture I got today.

• ruthz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Some of the pictures of Lesser Goldfinch looks like the bird I saw yesterday.

• carrie751
    10 years ago

Ruth, those are the ones my daughter has year round in Austin, so could possibly be.

• patsy_b
    10 years ago

It looks like the female painted bunting. I have a pair in my yard and she looks just like your picture. The male is more bashful than the female. You are lucky to see her often if that is what she is as they are very shy. I only see the male a couple times a year and it is always near dusk.