Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynnmariep86

It's 110 degrees and I'm outside and blooming

Lynn Marie
12 years ago

It isn't much, but some flowers are just tough!

From Instant Upload
{{gwi:1365465}}From Instant Upload
From Instant Upload
From Instant Upload
From Instant Upload
From Instant Upload
From Instant Upload

Show us what's blooming in your yard?

Lynn Marie P

Comments (20)

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    12 years ago

And you are outside watering, and watering and watering, shae says burnt brown with envy. I ran out of water yesterday and I have stopped watering along time ago.

• carrie751
    12 years ago

Yes, and I am just in for an iced-tea break after watering and watering and watering.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    12 years ago

And you are outside watering, and watering and watering, she says burnt brown with envy. I ran out of water yesterday and I have stopped watering along time ago.

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

Blooming? Is that another word for sweating?

It's 105 degrees and I'm inside and fanning, but just for you, I went outside to see what was blooming. I didn't get good pictures and they don't look as good as yours anyway, but my battery light was blinking and it WAS hot, so I snapped and ran back in the house.

{{gwi:1365473}}
    {{gwi:1365475}}
    {{gwi:1365477}}
    {{gwi:1365478}}
    {{gwi:1365480}}
    {{gwi:1365482}}
    {{gwi:1365484}}
    {{gwi:1365486}}
    {{gwi:1365488}}

• linda_tx8
    12 years ago

I'm inside with that wonderful A/C going...and I'm not blooming! I guess I could put on a blooming t-shirt and run outside in the horrendous heat, but I won't!

• ogrose_tx
    12 years ago

It's after 9, 100 Degrees out, I keep running out to move the sprinkler (for what reason I haven't figured out), and if Texas wasn't the greatest state in the union I'd move!!

Keep cool, y'all!

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

I love Texas, but I can't take this heat and every year I get less tolerant. I actually have dreams of mountains and rain.

• soxxxx
    12 years ago

My water has not been turned off in over a month. During the day I water lawn and plants. At night it runs into the large pond.

I do not have a camera, but my most prolific bloomers now are old fashioned petunias and some roses.

I may not even have anything to bloom by tomorrow. Tonight when I came home about 10:30 PM I saw a deer at my front porch. Don't know if he was grazing on my pretties or seeking water. He surely was poor looking.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    12 years ago

There go our aquifers.

• merrybookwyrm
    12 years ago

And trying to save the aquifers and lakes, I didn't water enough... for the foundation. :-(

It boggles my mind that houses on shifty clay aren't built with better foundations. Grr.

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

Heard on the news last night that Willow Park (near Dallas) has gone to Stage 5 restrictions with NO outside watering. So now their plants will probably die and their foundations are in danger. I'm like merrybookwyrm, and wonder why they aren't built with better foundations. At least a pier and beam foundation is fairly easy to level and is good as new. A slab can be leveled, but the break is still there. Forever.

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

Last night I went out about 7pm and I came back in just dripping. Dh asked what I was doing, and I said "I'm just blooming!"

So thank you for my new code word for sweating. lol

• cynthianovak
    12 years ago

I'm probably not doing enough to keep the foundation moist. Trying to conserve. Back yard grass long gone except patches around young fig trees. Using a soaker on the Tithonia...they are blooming along with cleome

Passies incense and fetida are blooming. Orange cosmos.. batface is trying to make it in a pot. need to get a saucer under him. Some zinnias from seed are blooming. Some part sun plants like angel wing begonias and the Rex begonias with brown leaves are alive. Geraniums a casulaty. Lollipops are making it.

I looked ahead...chance of rain on the 13th! Hope we all get some sooner or then.

sigh
    it's another day closer to October... .

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

Several things are blooming, but the Bougainvilleas are the only flowering plants that actually seem to be lovin' the heat which is 108.1 at 5:30 PM in my zip code.

Sighing with you Cynthia while waiting for October ...

Marti, I know what you mean. Last night it was still 101 at 10 PM, so as the saying goes ....

Horses sweat
    Men perspire
    Ladies glow and
    Gardeners bloom!

My garden would bloom more if only sweat were irrigation! That's the name of one of my favorite garden blogs :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: If only sweat were irrigation ...

• Lynn Marie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I've only been watering the plants in beds and pots daily. We've been watering the yard weekly, but that isn't doing much good. The plants really need twice a day watering, but they aren't going to get it! Can't afford for my water bill to exceed my electricity bill! And when Mesquite goes into water restrictions, I'll cry a LOT.

Thanks for posting all those beautiful pics! Wish I were as tough as some of those flowers!

• pjtexgirl
    12 years ago

Wild/xeriscape still looks about the same..... I am,however,melting.

{{gwi:1365490}} {{gwi:1365492}} {{gwi:1365493}} {{gwi:1365494}} {{gwi:1365495}}
    {{gwi:1365496}} {{gwi:1365497}} {{gwi:1365498}} {{gwi:1365499}}

• MidnightBirdGirl
    12 years ago

I wish I could water and bloom :-(
    We are only allowed to water every 5 days now or we will be fined by the city.

Our pumps could not keep up with the demand.

• pjtexgirl
    12 years ago

I line water the trees once a week for 1 hour. I only use the sprinklers once every 7 days for three,consecutive, ten minute rounds to give the water time to soak in. If I let the sprinklers run 30 minutes straight I get massive run off. I have to hand water the hell strip (plants between the sidewalk and the street) as any other way will mostly run off. The back yard sod is dormant except for a 5' wide area next to the foundation to prevent heaving/cracks near the house. My small, suburban front yard is 2/3 heavily mulched xeric plants. The actual area of my sod is smaller than my driveway. It's mostly a 5-7' wide path. The bed next to the doorway has the heaviest plantings and flowers. The rest of the beds are 1/3 plants and 2/3 mulch. Otherwise there is no way I could afford to keep it green, much less flowering. I copied my yard from Wasawaski's native plant book, demo gardens at Weston Gardens, and the gardens featured on Texas smartscape. It's not as pretty as the more exotic gardens,especially in spring, but it can take a brutal summer in Texas.

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

A surprise in the garden this morning. The crinum was blooming. The tips of every leaf are drying out, and I have been watering them to try to keep them from croaking. Mainly because I don't want to have to dig up those roots!
    {{gwi:1365500}}

• pjtexgirl
    12 years ago

Pretty.....