Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hydrogen peroxide - how did I miss this?

Posted by soxxxx 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 14, 11 at 12:39

Surfing the web I ran across a site touting the use of hydrogen peroxide for fertilizing plants and to enhance seed sprouting and starting plants from cuttings.

In my years of gardening I had never heard that before.

Is this a widespread practice?
Does anyone here do it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hydrogen peroxide - how did I miss this?

I've read about it in the past but always forget to use it.

o

I had not heard of it, but after reading up on it since you posted, may try it on some of my brugs as they have taken a real hit this season. I saw charts that gave amounts to use, etc, and this would be very helpful.

o

That's really strange to use it as a fertilizer. Hydrogen peroxide breaks down into water and oxygen...I guess it could give the roots an oxygen boost.

o

• Posted by alameda 8 - East Texas (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 19, 11 at 12:24

I start my daylily seeds using a mix of peroxide and water - I soak them in clear plastic baggies and when the white tip shows, I plant the seeds. It really helps them germinate quicker. 6 T peroxide to 1/2 gallon of water. I dont know about other seeds but dont know why it wouldnt work. I have not fertilized with it, but there is probably some information on the internet about it.

o

There is a lot of info on the web about it, apparently...

I'd never heard this either, but I might try it on my containers. It's 1/2C. 3% peroxide to 1 gallon of water.

A lot of places give you the ratios for food grade (35%) peroxide, but that stuff is wicked; I'd rather not play with it if I don't have to...

Alameda:

What's your setup for germinating seeds with peroxide? I've never had success with germinating seeds in baggies, so be specific; I'm tired of killing things :)

~AOK

o

i've germinated amaryllis seeds like that. learned about over at the amaryllis forum. main reason to use h2o2 is to keep the mold/yucky stuff from growing.

i use a tupperware bowl about 6" diameter, 3" tall. fill half way with tap water, then add approx 2-3 teaspoons of h2o2. throw the seeds in there, spread them out, they'll float. a week or two later, the tap root comes out.

o

I think it will work on some seeds and not others. It works because it eats away the shell or at least weakens it. Other seeds may only need to be scarified. Some like Texas Mountain Laurel benefit by a strong acid soak.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here