Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
termites in raised bed garden?

Posted by jpc3 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 29, 10 at 12:44

I was adding compost and turning the soil on my two raised bed gardens this morning and noticed what looked like tiny termites or albino ants in the soil of one of them.
should I be worried about this or is it normal?
The strange thing is they are present in only one bed and did not seem to harm any of my vegetables.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: termites in raised bed garden?

Termites are everywhere. Part of mother nature's little workforce turning dead wood into compost. There was probably some wood mulch in your compost that they are feeding on.

I probably wouldn't put that compost up against a wood house, fence, or firewood though.

o

Thanks for the info - I went back out and noticed that all the little bugs seemed to be being attacked by ants - guess I will turn the soil several times over the next few weeks and see what happens :)

o

There was a PBS show on termites in some country in Africa. They were in someone's home and eating the walls and roof. There was an older man who knew of a kind of ant who could get rid of the termites. They looked like fire ants only bigger and he said they were dangerous because they could go inside a person or animal and start eating it from the inside (that would be gross) but he knew how to talk to them. So he and a couple of boys went out to find these ants and they dumped a bag full into the termite caverns in the house. The ants really went after the termites even though the termites were bigger. It was both gross and interesting.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here