Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Potted Firebush

Posted by doctorlynn Texas (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 4, 12 at 12:53

I just bought a Firebush in hopes of attracting hummingbirds. I do not want to put it in the ground but want it on the patio. Although I know they are heat tolerate, I am worried about the heat on the roots in a planter (as well as the cold in winter). Is there anything special/different I need to do to keep a"potted" Firebush thriving? I am not an experienced gardener so please talk to me like I am in kindergarten! Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Potted Firebush

Since mine is about 12' tall and grows faster than I can chop it back I am not sure how they do in a pot.
I suggest no black pots, the sun just bakes them here in the south, a BIG pot and water fairly frequently-if it looks droopy water it, if the soil feels dry when you stick your finger in it then water it.
Good luck!
Tally HO!

o

That's good advice from Tally. I saw some blooming beautifully in a pot at a plant nursery, so I know they will bloom in a pot. Firebush likes LOTS of sun.

o

I have had one in a pot for years. I didn't like where DH planted it, so I dug it up and stuck it in a black garden center pot. Granted, it isn't very big, but it lives. (The pot is where the bottom is shaded by other pots, so I'm not discounting the advice above to not use black pots.)

o

I have 2 in pots. One is in part sun and a brown pottery pot. It gets more fertilizer and it is bigger than the one in part sun in a beige plastic pot. Both are blooming and I love them. Also have 2 in ground, but don't get as much sun and are much smaller. Never noticed any heat problems. They seem to like it. Even when one was in a beige pot on concrete all summer long.

o

Mine grows in partial shade and always has. It dies back with any freeze but will reach over 6-8 feet by the middle of July but do start late after many other plants have been sprouting up. The only starts I have been able to get were from plants coming up from the roots. Tried cuttings but nothing worked. I never do anything for this plant it does just great all by its self no matter how bad our weather is including the drought we had last year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here