Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heatheroo_gw

My Mexican Heather is dying...

heatheroo
10 years ago

Hi there,
I have a couple of Mexican Heather plants that are dying. They seem to be drying up even though I water them. Maybe not enough? Maybe too much? I've heard that they're rather low maintenance and are great in the Texas sun (Houston area, to be more specific). I have them outdoors, but they remain partially shaded, by tree leaves, for a good portion of the day.
Also, can they remain potted plants or do they need to be planted? They are currently in pots and have been since I purchased them, over a week ago.
Any advice will help! Thanks!

Comments (16)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

The plant pictured looks pretty good to me. In what way does it seem to be dying?.

It also doesn't look like Mexican heather which is a low spreading plant. Is your plant by chance Mexican oregano? It's easy to get names mixed up. They both have lavender colored flowers.

I love Mexican oregano as an ornamental plant plus I use the leaves to flavor pinto beans.

Whatever it is I'd keep it in a pot unti the weather cools, but I'd transfer it to a slightly larger pot to let the roots grow out before planting it in the ground this fall. You'll probably have to water it almost every day as it will dry out quickly in the pot.

Happy gardening!

Here is a link that might be useful: Mexican oregano images ...

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

Sorry, I saw after I posted that you said your plants were "drying up". In this heat I think it just needs more water. Be sure the soil in the pot is thoroughly wet after watering. Sometimes the soil shrinks from the sides of the pot and the water just runs through not soaking the root ball. When that happens I either set the hose on a slow drip into the pot or set the pot in a bucket of water, but don't leave it too long; just long enough wet it.

Wishing you well!

• lou_spicewood_tx
    10 years ago

Peat tends to be hard to get wet. Try mixing a bit of baby shampoo with water to help with that.

Putting the pot in a bucket of solution for several minutes seems to work best.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    10 years ago

Maybe just transplant shock? I thought I read that it was a new plant.

• clairtx
    10 years ago

I have the pink Mexican heather along the south side of my house. It gets a little water twice a week and is thriving.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

The above plant looks more like pink Mexican petunia which I love. Pink Mexican petunia spreads itself around from seeds and they are easy to pull, but doesn't spread by rhizomes like the purple one which are so hard to dig out once you have them.

Happy gardening with all these great Mexican plants!

• carrie751
    10 years ago

One of my gardening friends calls these "chi-chi's" ...and yes, I also think that is ruellia, aka Mexican petunia.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

MY Chi chis threw their seeds and grew from stolens once they got going. It took a coupls of years but I rue tha day I planted them at my old house.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

Mara, are you talking about the pink ones? I don't know if 'chi chi' is the name of ruellia in general or specifically pink ruellia.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

"Ruella brittoniana "chi chi " is the tall light pinkish one , I think. It has been awhile and they did become invassive in the improved river cut back clayish soil that I had in Austin. I remember coming under bombardment from the seeds. They started popping up everywhere and after ahile they did start sending out stolens and they ere no longer easy to pull out.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

Thanks! I may have to change my opinion about them, but so far so good. My 'soil' is pretty poor and dry so maybe I can get by with letting some of them stay. Shirley and I have said more than once that we need 'invasive' plants so something will live without coddling. But I'll be watching and maybe digging up some to see how it goes. I'll say this; they are certainly drought tolerant. They may wilt but they don't die.

• carrie751
    10 years ago

I am also one who wishes she had never planted these. I will NEVER rid myself of them, no matter how many I pull out.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

I think I remember a tread several years back bemoaning the horrors of ruella. I think it happened mostly in rich soil areas. They need to be happy to bloom. I found that mine were sporadic in that department, but they bloomed enough to spread like the dickens.

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

I've been watching this thread for awhile, hoping someone would ID heatheroo's plant.

I had the tall Mexican ruella too and it was a chore eliminating it. I like the short variety though.

• fox5411
    9 years ago

Returned from Costa Rica to Mts. Of NC this spring and discovered all mexican heather dying. Think it was the unusually long and extreme cold that got it, it was 20 years old and had been healthy up until spring of 2014.

Any ideas on what caused the die iff?
    Fox5411