Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
small yellow bird

Posted by ruthz 8a dfw texas (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 23, 12 at 13:33

I saw a small yellow bird this morning in the Rose of Sharon bush. It only stayed a minute and I wasn't too close. We don't normally see yellow ones. My daughter saw one once last year.

Do we have Prothonotary warblers in the DFW area, or any ideas what kind it might be?
I went inside for the camera, but didn't see it again.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: small yellow bird

anny chance it was a goldfinch in his summer coat?
?

Here is a link that might be useful: goldfinch in summer feathers

o

I have never had goldfinch at this time of year, Ruth, but look at the Lesser finch.............my daughter has them in Austin all summer long, and I have had them here in the summer. Tried to find my photos to send you to see if it could be the correct one, but my albums are not too tidy, and I ran out of time looking.

o

could the fall migration be starting already? It`s also possible that the drought has driven some birds from their normal areas. Hope you see him again.
Tally HO!

o

• Posted by ruthz 8a dfw texas (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 23, 12 at 16:55

Could be the Lesser Finch. I wasn't very close, but I didn't see any black on head or wings. It was around 11am and I was watering one of the raised beds. There's really tall crape myrtles and other small trees on the west side of the fence and there seemed to be a ton of various types of bird activity going on in that area for a short period of time.

o

My husband saw a yellow bird this weekend, he called it a cedar waxwing. I did not see it, He also saw a whooping crane, I did get to see it. He sits outside all day long inside the garage door, while I sit in the air conditioning. Barbra

o

Tally
I'll bet you are right about the migration. Perhaps all the drought sent them down early. I've seen more different birds recently, have not seen a goldfinch but know that I am seeing tufted titmouse, wrens,and some finches that pop in and away pretty fast...as if they aren't accustomed to my well stocked feeders aka fast food for my friends. I'll keep an eye open for yellow.
c

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here