Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xtal_gw

What is the best Texas Sage, ceniza?

I've heard of Cenizas that might be thin branched and leaves on the bottom. What is the best Ceniza to buy for being a thick privacy plant?

Thanks for responding,
Xtal

Comments (6)

• bossyvossy
    9 years ago

I grow tx sage in freestone co in east tx and yearly pruning has thickened it up. I think it has a natural tendency to become bare at the bottom. I bought mine at HD, just tagged sage. In Houston, I have not been able to grow it but many people do. One of those plants that elude me.

• Xtal in Central TX, zone 8b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bossyvossy,

Thanks for replying nonetheless. I wonder if there's a difference between Green Cloud and Silverado other than the color of the leaves. Perhaps not. Like many other plants, one might be a sport off the other, recognized, then started on it's own and under another name. I have no idea. But, thought I'd inquire anyway,

Thanks,
    Xtal

• bossyvossy
    9 years ago

I love silver foliage plus it is usually associated with plants having low moisture requirements. Silverado is the one I have tried and have failed with. I see the Green Cloud all over and I think it might be even easier to grow. Additionally, it doesn't seem to get as sparse at the bottom as Silverado. Both are stunning when in full bloom.

• Xtal in Central TX, zone 8b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

One thing that can be said, is that both seem to have the silver grayish leaves. Maybe I'll see which one is available at the local big box store.

I had planned to layer down with my plantings. So, even if it was a bit sparse at the bottom, I'd have the feet covered up with something else.

Thanks a bunch for your thoughts.
    Xtal

• paradisecircus
    9 years ago

I absolutely love my Texas sage!! Here's a photo of mine. I wish i could tell you what type it is. I found mine at a local nursery here in Fort Worth, just labeled as Texas Sage and that's it. As you can see, it does get a little bare at the bottom but not as leggy as I've read they do. Maybe someone here can tell what type I have :)

I bought them 2 years ago. They were small, just 8" tall and wide and you can see how one blew up (it's about 2.5' to 3' tall now) while the one to the left stayed stunted. The small one to the right of the large one is an offshoot. Idk why one thrived while the other, only feet away struggled. Both lost almost all its leaves during winter but came back just fine. I rarely water them. Just let them get the runoff from other shrubs in the bed. They're on the west side of the house where they get full intense setting sun and reflected heat.

• bostedo: 8a tx-bp-dfw
    9 years ago

'Rio Bravo' is nice, though like several of the newer cultivars, is not technically a native Texas sage. The linked Dallas Morning News article has a brief overview of cultivars.

Bush germander (Teucrium fruticans) is a non-native blue-grey leaf shrub recommended for central Texas that may do better than Cenizo as a hedge (ex. sheared or

). Tops out around six feet, so may be a bit shorter than the standard Texas sage.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cenizo by any name blooms bright

This post was edited by bostedo on Mon, Aug 4, 14 at 20:01