Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantmaven

no rain 2011

plantmaven
12 years ago

Open the link and click on No Rain in 2011.

Here is a link that might be useful: no rain

Comments (14)

• pjtexgirl
    12 years ago

TEXAS WORST DROUGHT IN HISTORY
    Glad I got here just in time. Sheesh.

• linda_tx8
    12 years ago

It's not a bad song! Should sell if it's available. Yes, it's really bad in Texas! See url below for news on the drought's effects on Texas wildlife.

Here is a link that might be useful: Texas Drought Will Harm Wildlife Habitat For Years

• carrie751
    12 years ago

This is why I am trying in a very small way to feed the ones at my place..........even the ones I don't care for.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    12 years ago

I don't mind sharing my plants either. So sad for the wildlife.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    12 years ago

When the raccoons break through my door and snarl at me, I am not to willing to share my home.

• pjtexgirl
    12 years ago

Funny, I just mentioned raccoon's crazy behavior on another thread.
    I provide the water and they get to hunt up bugs. It's a win/win. My vegies are so pathetic they can have em.

• GeraldC
    12 years ago

It's bad, but you have to make people be more specific about statements like "worse drought ever." It may well be the driest nine months ever, but that will be since official records began. It's certainly not the longest bad drought in history. Nor is it anything new. In the 16th century, Cabeza de Caca found Indians who told him it hadn't rained in two years. The San Gabriel River (Georgetown) dried up in 1756, and that was back whenb rivers were normally in far better condition than now. Perhaps 1949-1956 was the worst. There was a bad one in the 1970's, and in the 1980's it got so bad Mesquite trees died. It's always true about drought in Texas. If you're not in one, there's one on its way.

• swanscross
    12 years ago

In the panhandle its the worst drought in 100 years, longest time without rain in 100 years apparently records of rain go back that long in this area.

• plantmaven
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Back in the late 80's / early 90's I visited family in Merced, CA. People there kept asking about all the rain in TX. There were children there 8 years and younger, who had never seen rain.

• weldontx
    12 years ago

IN times like these.......
    Are we humbled at all, or just complaining?
    I say, Let's be humble and learn from this time.

Praises: There has been a light rain in N. Ft. Worth.

• carrie751
    12 years ago

I so agree with you, Weldon.

• linda_tx8
    12 years ago

The question is...what do we learn? To use plants that don't need a lot of water? Grasses that don't need much water? To use native plants that don't need much water or possibly well-adapted drought-tolerant nonnative plants. The power of nature going through extreme changes can make some of the people more humble. Another thing is to care about the wildlife. Some desperately need help to get through all this. They come to my property to drink water...you'd be amazed how much water they use...and we don't even have that much wildlife around here. I put out birdseed...have since that other drought. And deer feed...and whatever else I can spare. The deer are thin, the fawns (what few are left) look thin and weak.

• burntplants
    12 years ago

So sad.
    All we can do is feed the wildlife, and hope more survive to repopulate more quickly.
    My fruit trees are totally for the squirrels and birds this year.
    I've added feeders and sources of water and butterfly plants.
    Normally I don't bother--the Texas Gulf Coast usually is lush and wet and there's no need.

• swanscross
    12 years ago

well, grasses that require little water, hmm buffalo it greens up when there is a rain. vegetable gardening, k this year, zuni wafflebeds and sunken beds. drip irrigation any where i can put it. Yes, I think everyone needs to be flexible at times like these,and cant help wondering what the farmers are going to do this year since India had placed an imbargo on their out going cotton crops for the year, (last week) cotton already up now to 1.00 per pound and is rumored to reach 2.00 by harvest, We were hard hit by drought, this area holds 25% of the worlds cotton production, the counties were trying to inforce putting meters on farmers well house pumps (lost the legal battle farmers won (which is good)) now with this much $$$ at stake against the depletion of the water tables...how many farmers will make the move to upgrade irrigation and water conservation before they race to plant monsanto cotton? Yes MONSANTO...yikes