Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
no rain 2011

Posted by plantmaven 8b/9a TX (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 8, 11 at 14:27

Open the link and click on No Rain in 2011.

Here is a link that might be useful: no rain

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: no rain 2011

TEXAS WORST DROUGHT IN HISTORY
Glad I got here just in time. Sheesh.

o

It's not a bad song! Should sell if it's available. Yes, it's really bad in Texas! See url below for news on the drought's effects on Texas wildlife.

Here is a link that might be useful: Texas Drought Will Harm Wildlife Habitat For Years

o

This is why I am trying in a very small way to feed the ones at my place..........even the ones I don't care for.

o

I don't mind sharing my plants either. So sad for the wildlife.

o

When the raccoons break through my door and snarl at me, I am not to willing to share my home.

o

Funny, I just mentioned raccoon's crazy behavior on another thread.
I provide the water and they get to hunt up bugs. It's a win/win. My vegies are so pathetic they can have em.

o

It's bad, but you have to make people be more specific about statements like "worse drought ever." It may well be the driest nine months ever, but that will be since official records began. It's certainly not the longest bad drought in history. Nor is it anything new. In the 16th century, Cabeza de Caca found Indians who told him it hadn't rained in two years. The San Gabriel River (Georgetown) dried up in 1756, and that was back whenb rivers were normally in far better condition than now. Perhaps 1949-1956 was the worst. There was a bad one in the 1970's, and in the 1980's it got so bad Mesquite trees died. It's always true about drought in Texas. If you're not in one, there's one on its way.

o

In the panhandle its the worst drought in 100 years, longest time without rain in 100 years apparently records of rain go back that long in this area.

o

Back in the late 80's / early 90's I visited family in Merced, CA. People there kept asking about all the rain in TX. There were children there 8 years and younger, who had never seen rain.

o

IN times like these.......
Are we humbled at all, or just complaining?
I say, Let's be humble and learn from this time.

Praises: There has been a light rain in N. Ft. Worth.

o

I so agree with you, Weldon.

o

The question is...what do we learn? To use plants that don't need a lot of water? Grasses that don't need much water? To use native plants that don't need much water or possibly well-adapted drought-tolerant nonnative plants. The power of nature going through extreme changes can make some of the people more humble. Another thing is to care about the wildlife. Some desperately need help to get through all this. They come to my property to drink water...you'd be amazed how much water they use...and we don't even have that much wildlife around here. I put out birdseed...have since that other drought. And deer feed...and whatever else I can spare. The deer are thin, the fawns (what few are left) look thin and weak.

o

So sad.
All we can do is feed the wildlife, and hope more survive to repopulate more quickly.
My fruit trees are totally for the squirrels and birds this year.
I've added feeders and sources of water and butterfly plants.
Normally I don't bother--the Texas Gulf Coast usually is lush and wet and there's no need.

o

well, grasses that require little water, hmm buffalo it greens up when there is a rain. vegetable gardening, k this year, zuni wafflebeds and sunken beds. drip irrigation any where i can put it. Yes, I think everyone needs to be flexible at times like these,and cant help wondering what the farmers are going to do this year since India had placed an imbargo on their out going cotton crops for the year, (last week) cotton already up now to 1.00 per pound and is rumored to reach 2.00 by harvest, We were hard hit by drought, this area holds 25% of the worlds cotton production, the counties were trying to inforce putting meters on farmers well house pumps (lost the legal battle farmers won (which is good)) now with this much $$$ at stake against the depletion of the water tables...how many farmers will make the move to upgrade irrigation and water conservation before they race to plant monsanto cotton? Yes MONSANTO...yikes

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here