Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
about to throw in the towel

Posted by soxxxx 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 8, 11 at 14:31

My yard has become the oasis.

I have nightly visits from thr racoons to steal pears,

the armadillos to tear up the lawn and flower beds,

and now the deer are coming not just to nibble but to destroy whole plants.

Yesterday I saw a rabbit. I do not know what he was getting into.

I know that they are all desperate for food. The doe is so poor. I wonder what has become of her baby. I told my son to buy some corn or something for the deer feeder.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: about to throw in the towel

I'm right there with you. We've been putting water out for the deer and other animals for several months. They seem to have enough food around the neighborhood so no feed yet.

I saw a news story that a lot of fawns are being abandoned especially out in the rural areas of the hill country.

o

I saw a small group of fawns with no does in sight the other night. I've had a few visitors in the night in the front yard munching on the ajuga of all things.

o

Some of my stuff is getting eaten too, but not a whole Noah's ark thing like you have. It's just rabbits. Good thing too. A deer could easily wipe out my small suburban garden.
I have a few smaller water gardens. The animals seem to need water over everything else.

o

I have everything you mentioned, soxx, except the deer.....so far my area is free from deer. But today, even the roadrunner was up here looking for food. Guess I will buy dog food for them again.

o

carrie
What wildlife likes dog food other than the roadrunner?

I had been buying the out of date bread to feed my nine crows, but the Ms Baird's store closed. I give them food scraps when I have some and a few sunflower seeds. I need to find something affordable.

o

Soxxxx, the crows will most likely eat dog food. The grackles around here do. They'd carry pieces of dry dog food that a neighbor used to leave out to my bird bath, drop it in the water to soften it, and then eat it.

So if using the dry form rather than canned (I'm SURE they'd love canned) you might need to add a little water to it so they can handle it.

A grackle dropped a wasp nest in the bird bath yesterday. It was an old empty one, but guess they thought it was worth a try.

o

On the other hand, the feral hogs have retreated. They had to postpone shooting a reality show about hog hunting from helicopters (newly legal). I guess the pigs are all staying down in the remaining creeks, because it's just too hot for them and probably little for them to eat elsewhere.

o

Rats like dog food too.
Jim

o

GeraldC, the feral hogs must have retreated into the woods around my place, because there are still plenty of them here. There is a private lake not far from me, and they cross my property (and the neighboring acreage) on their way to and from the water.

o

Jim -- you are right about the rats! I convinced my neighbor to stop leaving dry dog food intended for her dogs outside.

o

Rats and raccoons love dog food. Raccoons can be very destructive and quite bold. I've heard stories of raccoons waltzing through a pet door (after beating or scaring the pets) and making themselves right at home.

My small water gardens attract more kinds and numbers of birds than my neighbor's feeders. They seem to prefer a diet of bugs over seed, but have trouble finding water holes.

o

The secret to feeding dog food is to put out only as much as can be consumed in a short period of time. I have never had any problems with rats (of course, maybe my cat is the reason for this), so don't be overly generous with the food. I also feed old bread to my crows........they are so diligent about chasing the hawks away and that is comforting to me as I have two very small Yorkies.

o

Carrie, maybe your cat has help from a ring tail or a rat snake :-) I haven't seen any rats or mice, or smelled them in the storage shed, since a 'ring tail cat' started hanging around. Beautiful as they are, thankfully you rarely see them or someone would probably shoot them.

Trappers and miners who lived in woodland cabins used to keep them as semi pets by setting up inviting places, like a box by their wood stoves, for them to spend the day. At night they kept the mice and rats in check.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ringtail, Bassariscus astutus

o

I have never seen a ringtail here, Roselee, but then I am not outside much at night........LOL> I did have a few rat snakes, but haven't seen one lately, perhaps a feast for the roadrunner...........who knows??? I try to let nature do it's own thing as long as I don't have to witness it.

o

How cool! I didn't even know about those. I only knew Texas had ferrets.

o

May I suggest not feeding the deer corn as it is not that good for deer.
What I have been using is a game feed from Tractor Supply and is cheaper than dog food.
Other critters will eat it also but that is what nature is all about.

o

If it's any comfort, my neighbor (sort of) across the road and over the hill (within a pistol shot of the city limits), has a mountain lion. After six goats and a guinea, the lion, now a well-fed lion, seems to have moved on to another leg of its circuit for now.

Buy or borrow an automatic game camera. My next door neighbor had something tripping his hog traps. The camera caught a whole array of beasts, including bobcats, and a feral hog so huge he couldn't get enough of himself inside the trap for the door to drop.

o

Gerald,
Where can I get that Hog? would love to introduce him to my Marlin. I love to hog hunt!!!!!!!!!!!!

o

I would be pretty confident he's lying up somewhere on Plum Creek. There's not much for them elsewhere right now. They'll be back when the drought breaks. My neighbor counted 65 hogs in his pasture one morning before dawn. He traps the babies, feeds them up with old bread, and introduces them to the barbecue.

o

Man that sounds like fun with the BBQ. If you would shoot me an email if there is some need to lower those hog numbers, would love to help out with the big ones to use for dog meat.

o

Am new to this site and have so very much enjoyed reading your posts. We are having our share of wild critters in town too. Coyotes have been coming into town and snatching up small dogs and cats. Recently read an article about the effects of this drought on the wildlife and it is very sad. Try and do my part with watering and feeding the animals, and with praying that this drought ends soon.

o

I already threw in the towel with tomatoes. For the first year in recent memory I did not plant a fall crop. I was just thinking today that I am glad that I didn't. I have all I can do just to keep my fruit trees alive. As for critters, I find squirrels to be the worst with fruit, and birds and possums a close second. I have a large dog in the back yard and the animals come anyway they are so desperate. If this keeps up maybe it will come to building a water resovoir system like they have in Israel. They pretty much save every drop they can for the dry times.

o
planting wildlife food on purpose

I had planned on picking the huge bunches of grapes I had on my grape vines a few weeks ago, but they basically all disappeared overnight, no evidence left except some piles of deer scat.
I'm not too annoyed though as they have never done this before and I figure they were desperate for food because of the drought.
I've been planting lots of fruit trees, vines, bushes- more than I could possibly ever use. The way I look at it, my property can serve as a wildlife refuge and provide food for me too.

o

we have lots of animals out here, I have seen the roadrunners- there are 7 of them, drink from the water trough. In fact every one of the animals come out to drink there. Stray dogs you name it. A wondering horse two weeks ago. It is very sad. My chickens are beyond the stage where they are laying eggs. They are doing alright but just like everyone else, trying to stay in the shade. My veggies looked so bad- the okra is still growing though, I have opened the garden gates to let the rabbits and other animals in to dine. I do have green beans growing on the porch. But nothing too exciting. We do have a pond in the yard as well that I fill, I think lots of people are trying to help all the wildlife they can

o

As I told the kids: "No fruit from the trees this year, it's all for the birds and squirrels."

The wildlife is starving, they're welcome to my garden this year. I can always go to the store.

On the plus side, with the low humidity this year my roses have never looked better. Give & take.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here