Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovemyroses

Flower seeds to put out in Fall/Winter for Texas...

ilovemyroses
11 years ago

prefer perenials, but I have a few areas that I do not want to tend to too much (back alley, 1 foot wide fence line) but know would look great with flowers seeded over winter.

Any experience on these? (by seed)

Poppies (what variety?), Moraco daisy (pyrethrosis hosmariense), veronica, 4 o'clocks, larkspur, yarrow, phlox, alysum, geranium

I bought a wildflower seed package at Lowe's, and some came up, but would rather just put out what I know does well with this Texas heat/drought. All areas get sun, some full day, some half day.

These do NOT have to be native Texan wildflowers, I am not going just for that 'Texas' look, but well adapted and little care.

Thanks so much!!

Comments (9)

• wally_1936
    11 years ago

Poppies, Larkspur, bachelor buttons, and Bluebonnets, but I would contact your local extension agent for more information.

• debndal
    11 years ago

I have poppies (California poppies, are goldish orangey colored) and larkspur, which are both annuals but they reseed fairly reliably each year, especially if you allow all the seeds to mature and fall. They don't bloom till spring - the poppies first, about late March to mid-late May and the larkspur later - around May - June in my yard. I pull them up when they are done reseeding because they get pretty ratty looking in the heat. Poppies get almost full sun, and larkspur about 1/2 day sun. You won't get year long color from these, but they do bloom for a good month or more. I get alot of positive comments on the poppies from the neighbors and runners and dog walkers in my neighborhood. My soil is amended red clay. The larkspur get moderate water, and the poppies bloom best when they get very little water. Of the 2, the poppies are my favorite.

• beachplant
    11 years ago

I`m glad you posted this, I want to plant sweet peas and they need to be planted in fall. No idea if they will do ok here but nothing to lose by trying.
    Tally HO!

• jardineratx
    11 years ago

In addition to Poppies, Larkspur, bachelor buttons, and Bluebonnets I have successfully sown and grown bells of Ireland, purple tansy, blue flax, french hollyhock (Malva sylvestris), and coreopsis. These will bloom late winter/early spring for me and are later replaced with heat-loving plants. I also plant bulbs of ranunculus, anemones and freesias for spring bloom.
    Molly

• cynthianovak
    11 years ago

Debndal
    Do california poppies return for you?
    thanks
    c

• ilovemyroses
    Original Author
    11 years ago

wally, debndal, beachplant, jardin and cynthia...wow, great information. I am headed out to check local places for seeds, as I have a few coupons, and seed catalogs too.

the larkspur are a new one for me, and something I often see looking great!! Keep 'em coming fellow Texans!!

• beachplant
    11 years ago

poppies should be planted in the fall. We have a big pink one at the community garden that came in with mulch from one of our gardeners. It sprouts all over the garden every year. No idea what type it is.
    Tally HO!

• wally_1936
    11 years ago

Coreopsis are per-annuals and some are quite rangy and will spread just by falling over and putting out more roots where they fall plus all the seeds.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

love in the mist, dames rocket, chamomile,thelasperma.