Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruthz_gw

Fall veggies for DFW area

ruthz
12 years ago

I'm tired of watering dries up tomato plants so I'm going to yank them out and start seeds for chinese napa cabbage, spinach and maybe cucumbers.

Anybody have suggestions (from experience) for the best kind for this area.

I've never tried growing spinach before.

Monstrueux De Viroflay Spinach is supposed to be good for fall planting per the info on package.

I tryed a hybrid napa cabbage last fall, but it didn't set heads well.

Comments (7)

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    12 years ago

Ruth, I've never tried growing any of these veggies. I have had great luck with collards (from the feed store, marked "Georgia"). They often lasted through the summer into the next fall.

My friends in Keller have had a continuing crop from Bright Lights swiss chard - it tasted good well into the summer (probably early July). That's one I'll plant for sure.

Lin

• gardenspice
    12 years ago

Not much happening in my garden, just trying to keep the peppers alive and hoping for a Fall crop before the first freeze.
    I have had mixed luck with spinach, but great luck with chard. The star of my Fall /winter garden is a wide variety of lettuces, but I direct sow those starting in late September.
    I've also had good luck with transplants of cauliflower and brocolli, (various varieties) and snow peas, but I'd check the Ag Extension page for your area for best time to plant. Nothing is going in my garden for at least a month.

• ruthz
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lin, I had Swiss Chard growing between my peppers, but we have a new 23 mo. old puppy (65 lbs) that is digging holes everywhere. My chard and lots of other stuff is now MIA.
    I find empty chewed up pots with no plants.
    I want to try spinach because it's one of Dan's favorites and we both love Chinese cabbage.
    gardenspice, I know what you mean with your peppers.
    I've gotten a few smaller than normal peppers so far, but I'm hoping for more after the temps drop some.
    I planted lots of new kinds this year that I really hope to try.

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    12 years ago

That's a bummer with the pup. I had to put a wire fence around my tomatoes to keep my dogs out, then moved it around the water garden when I got a puppy. It works but looks ugly. I hope to build a little picket fence when I settle in after the move....

Check out the link below for some recommended varieties for Tarrant County. The extension service has a list at this URL:

http://www.pcmg-texas.org/vegetable_cultivars_for_north_central_texas.pdf

Unless someone else has personal experience, that's the best I can come up with, Ruth!

Lin

Here is a link that might be useful: Veggies for Tarrant County

• carrie751
    12 years ago

I had ONE cucumber plant that survived the hail in June (it was a small one under a large squash leaf), and I am getting cucumbers at this time. I am very surprised, but oh, they taste so good. It is full of blooms and seems to continue setting fruit........so....so far, so good.

• texaskelley
    12 years ago

My MIL says in years past she's had good luck with cilantro as a fall crop here in College Station. Also she's had success with peppers (all kinds), lettuce, and okra (I think). The spring cucumbers she had here succumbed to the dogs running through the raised bed, so we're going to try them again this fall.

We're starting to plan our fall garden now since it appears DH and I will be squatting here for a few months more... at least MIL will have a gardening buddy!

~AOK

• sfmathews
    12 years ago

I planted bush and pole beans last Saturday when we had a break from the heat. Many are already up. I also have good luck with english peas, lettuce, broccoli, kale, collards, beets and swiss chard. Course, I need to get those peas going soon, if only the heat would break...sigh....