Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Cut back a bunch of stuff today ...

Just got through cutting back a bunch of stuff rather than try to keep it watered; salvias, plumbagos, shrimp plants, artemisias, etc. got cut back 1/3 to 2/3. It was easy to do with the battery hedge trimmer, which is one of my favorite tools. Yeah, it hurts to have cut back blooming plants, but they will come back in plenty of time for a good fall bloom. In a couple of weeks it will be time to prune the roses.

Another chore is to apply more mulch from the pile the tree trimmers left.

So how about you? Watcha' doing these long hot days of summer besides trying to stay cool?

Comments (13)

• ogrose_tx
    11 years ago

I like your idea of a battery operated hedge trimmer! Where did you find it?

I'm getting up about 5:30, having coffee on the patio and watch the day come up, then doing the same as you, cutting back, plus weeding plus reading on the patio. As soon as it starts getting hot, am in the house being lazy! I told myself I would use the hot weather to get organized in the house, but so far it's not happening...

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The hedge trimmer is a Craftsman Bushwacker 16 in. It't light enough I can hold it one hand to reach way out. Another battery operated appliance I wouldn't want to do with out is the small Black and Decker blower for sweeping the patio and walks.

Yeah, I keep telling myself I'll get some things done in the house while the weather is hot, but I'm having the same results you are ... LOL

• jardineratx
    11 years ago

Roselee, I LOVE my battery-operated hedge trimmer and blower! I put the trimmer to my flame acanthus a couple of days ago, as it was getting a little floppy and the trimming will result in plenty of new growth and blooms just in time for the hummers coming through this fall. I also put the trimmer to work on the curry, santolina, oregano, rockrose, and rosemary. I read somewhere that hard-pruning salvia gregii in the months ending in Y invigorates these plants.
    The battery operated blower is lightweight and is perfect for my two porches and other paved areas.

Molly

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

It probably isn't the best time to do it, but I pruned my vitex today. The branches were hanging so low that I couldn't mow under it or even near it anymore. I used a reciprocal saw - so much easier than using a hand pruning saw.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Marti, that's brilliant! A reciprocal saw would slice right through those branches. Hmmm ... Bob has one -- somewhere. Anyway I don't think there is a bad time to trim branches that are in the way. I do it all the time. Except for a few things like live oaks since freshly cut limbs are subject to beetle entry. On those I just coat the area with a pruning spray or black paint.

• mary52zn8tx
    11 years ago

I keep telling myself that it will get better in the fall. I have lost a few plants. I just found a Japanese Maple that probably won't make it. I also lost a new golden oak leaf hydrangea. I was going to try and replace the hydrangea in the fall, but I may have to wait until next spring.

• marcie_new
    11 years ago

Hi Roselee just wondering what color are you shrimp plants? I understand about cutting-trimming the plants its getting hoter and hoter every day some of my plants wilt during the day but at night-evening after watering they perk up. Back in mid April I lost so many plants and then when the plantswap came around I was not able to attend was housebound,we are starting to venture out of the house a little bit more and so I think we will be back to normal pretty soon, or at least more for now I am starting to relax more and getting used to my new life. Marc

• marcie_new
    11 years ago

Hi Roselee just wondering what color are you shrimp plants? I understand about cutting-trimming the plants its getting hoter and hoter every day some of my plants wilt during the day but at night-evening after watering they perk up. Back in mid April I lost so many plants and then when the plantswap came around I was not able to attend was housebound,we are starting to venture out of the house a little bit more and so I think we will be back to normal pretty soon, or at least more for now I am starting to relax more and getting used to my new life. Marc

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mary, it will get better in the fall. Unfortunately we've all lost plants to the heat and drought, but that comes with the territory, right? Not fun, but I just count it as a learning experience.

Marcie, I cut back the red, fruit cocktail, and orange shrimp plants. While cutting I pulled out a couple of each that were too close to the edge of the bed and potted them up for the plant swaps. I sure hope you can attend the fall swaps. Maybe we can recoup some losses by trading with other gardeners :-)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mary, my response above sounds a little condescending. I didn't mean it that way. I know the feeling. I was commiserating with you. Already this summer I lost two hard to find rose bushes I just got early spring and I'm not even sure why. Sometimes I replace the plants I lose. Sometimes I throw away the tags to help me forget about the loss :-(

• beachplant
    11 years ago

Working, we are so short handed at work that it seems to be all I do. On my days off I buy plumeria, Ok, not every day off but I am rebuilding my collection. Luckily they like heat and not a whole lot of water.
    Stay cool everyone!
    Tally HO!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tally, I remember you writing about all the beautiful plumeria coming into your possesion. Your table is going to 'velly' popular at the plant swaps in a couple of years :-) It's nice that they don't take much water.

Sorry about the work schedule. Guess it helps pay for the plumerias, huh?

• marcie_new
    11 years ago

roselee thanks for the encouragement. I am trying to root some shrimp cuttings for the swap as of today I am planing on attending. I would love to have some of your shrimps and I will try to see what else I can come up with.By the way do you happen to know someone in here that goes by the name garciafa? I know she is in Navasota. Thanks Marcie

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!