Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trimming Crape Myrtle

Posted by patty_cakes (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 10, 12 at 15:40

When is the best time do do it and how~~bottom or top? I see several in the neighborhood that have a nice umbrella type shape, sort of droopy. I've trimmed off some of the bottom branches, a few suckers. The trees were newly planted a few months ago, and are doing great, even in the heat~of course i've been watering every 3-4 days consistently. TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trimming Crape Myrtle

there are CM's everywhere around Houston, they are very resilient, and withstand our heat, droughts, floods, and even severe pruning.

i've seen many that are topped at around 4-6' tall every fall and they keep growing back each year. i've seen some giant ones that are never or hardly ever pruned, like the large droopy umbrella shaped ones you mentioned.

mine were planted close to the house, so i only prune the ones that are within a few inches of the roof. and i also prune the suckers. we've been at this house for about 4 years, and they are about 15-18' tall, and have a nice spread with lots of blooms.

o

You are doing it right, Pattycakes! You won't get away with Crepe Murder on this forum. Don't chop off their heads!

o

The best time to trim crape myrtles is when your saws are sharp. (In other words any time). Thin, shape, trim, but never top them off.

o

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaa~~at least that's one thing i'm doing right!

Elchechex, what do you mean by 'thin'? ;o)

o

Some prune back or dead head after they bloom to promote more blooms. Some once they have gotten larger any branch that is smaller than a pencil but most of yours probably aren't any larger than that now. All Suckers that come up from the ground or you will end up with a bush. If those suckers are far enough away from the parent plant you might want to dig them up at is if you want more plants. If you have ever moved one you will see many suckers come up from the roots that get left and each and everyone of those will most likely do better than the one you moved.

o

Here's a great article (with pictures!) from the Houston Chronicle about how to prune a crepe myrtle:

Here is a link that might be useful: Guilty of crepe murder?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here