Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cynthianovak

Who ate my eggplant?

cynthianovak
10 years ago

Hi All
We all know that when we plant a garden, nature's creatures start salivating and watch for opportunity to arrive. That said, I have one small eggplant plant. It held 3 small fruits. I don't know the variety but I assume they were supposed to be small. Still, I didn't really have a use for three egg size eggplant, so I watered and fertilized and one morning they were gone. Any idea who might have dined on them? I'm guessing some form of rodent c
because I have an abundance. OR opossum. Any ideas?

Comments (4)

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

I have rodent and bird problems in my garden, but they don't usually take the whole thing. I usually find just one bite out of a tomato, and not just one tomato, but lots of them. Rotten little beasts. You'd think they could finish the one they started.

• cynthianovak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Marti I know what you mean. I looked all around to see remnants. Not a bit. At first I thought they had fallen off, but nothing on the ground or hanging from the plant. Very mysterious indeed. But stranger things are keeping me entertained, I have a parakeet living in my trees. He's been here since July 8th!

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

I thought of you the other day. I talked to my mom who had an eggplant just about ready to pick. She went out one morning and it was gone. She thinks it was a squirrel. She's got one eggplant left and is going to put a ziplock bag on it and see if the squirrel will leave it alone.

• cynthianovak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Marti
    Thank you for the update. I'll bet the ziplock does the trick!