Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need to rid lawn of small grass burrs-Help Please

Posted by calverttx 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 26, 08 at 15:59

I do not know what to put on them or when. I thought I had better ask now in case I need to do it in the fall. We have a furry little dog and we had to have her shaved several times this summer. Every time she went out she came back with these burrs about 1/4 inch in diameter with little spikes stinking out. I appreciate any assistance..............

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need to rid lawn of small grass burrs-Help Please

Are they little round burrs from a clover with yellow flowers?

We have those, and a long-haired dog who apparantly is a magnet for the things.

I live in an area with a lot of neighbors who do nothing with their yards & weeds, so spraying Roundup is fairly pointless. What I do is set the mower low over those places. It keeps them from going to seed and gives the good stuff around them a chance to grow over, which Roundup would prevent, but would in fact make a bare spot open to more of the same or worse weed.

o

Yes, that is the plant...............

o

Fertilize the lawn. They really don't respond well to fertilizer. That's what we learned in Master Gardener classes.

Pam

o

If you add zeolite to your yard it will help get rid of all kinds of burrs and weeds. They thrive in poor soil and zeolite provides a wide range of nutrients that desirable plants need. We are out in the country and had a terrible problem with burrs and weeds. But a couple applications of zeolite has gotten rid of most of them in our lawn. Zeolite is available at feed stores and most garden supply stores in 50 lb bags. Just spread it according to the directions on the package and let nature take it's course. Now if we could just get rid of the f%*@^!g fire ants we could all go barefooted like we did when we were kids...

Cheryl

o

Amen!

Cheryl, does it matter what time of the year you put it out?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here