Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Lou, question about Floratam St. Augustine ....

Lou, I am courious to know why one is not allowed to grow Floratam St. Augustine as you mentioned on the 'Grass' thread.?

Bob and I plugged in Floratam on your recommendation and being very vigorous it took over in a short time. I am happy to report that it is much more drought, sun, and heat tolerant. than the old fashioned St. Augustine. It does fine in the hottest months with the once a week watering allowed in San Antonio. In the cooler months of spring and fall it goes longer than that. I feed it once in the spring with an organic fertilizer as you recommended.

Comments (5)

• lou_spicewood_tx
    9 years ago

Hi Roselee,

I think it's just pure ignorance on their part. I would have to contact HOA and find out if they are willing to make an exception for that cultivar. A&M already did study on all kinds of grass/cultivar to test their drought tolerance so I could provide that to show them that. You'd be surprised how little a lot of people know about it.

I'm glad to hear that your Floratam grass is doing very well!

• MKull
    9 years ago

Being fairly close like roselee, I'm curious about that as well. First I've heard of that. My guess would be because the typical homeowner isn't going to put in the time to research the different types of St.A. and just pick up whatever is cheaper. Nor will they spend the time to properly prepare, let alone maintain the more important soil. Cover all the bases by allowing none perhaps?

We have a mix of floratam and raleigh in the front and I have a hard time telling the difference. It's mostly shaded by trees but both seem to do equally well in regards to drought until about day 8 or so of no water. Then I can really start to tell the difference. I dug everything out as deep as I cared to muster, screened it, added pure compost to the height I wanted then laid the sod. In early spring I add compost, sulfur, iron, alaska fish fertilizer, molasses, epsom salt, and some other goodies. My neighbors often jokingly tell me they are going to catch me watering on my off days because it's usually pretty lush and green in these rough months while theirs are brown. I chuckle because normally I only water every two weeks (thank you soil).

A&M is coming out with another St.A in 2015 that's supposed to be even more drought resistant than floratam called DALSA 0605 so I'm waiting to re-do a section of the back until it becomes available to give it a whirl.

I just took this picture. I didn't water this week (Tuesday) so it's been 9 days since it's had a drink. Can you spot the patch of raleigh? :D It used to be a lot bigger but the floratam is winning so I just leave it alone.

• MKull
    9 years ago

thanks Lou...slow typer here as you already answered by the time I submitted. So is it specifically your HOA that's not allowing it and not the city? If that's the case I'm not as worried said grasshtapo will creep it's way down here.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    9 years ago

Mkull,

Just my HOA specifically banning st augustine... it's in the HOA manual. Lol. I did make sure to read it a few times before doing anything. I would have to talk to someone about it to find out if they would make an exception for it. The problem is... how would they know Floratam from others which it is very obvious but can they? Floratam has rather thick purple red stolons while Raliegh has thinner green stolons. I can go 10-14 days between watering during worst times for Floratam. Most are always shocked to find out when they asked me how often I watered them at the previous house.

Thanks for the information on that new st augustine grass. Awesome!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow -- sounds like DALSA 0605 is a wonder grass! It comes back after going brown from 8 weeks with no rain/no irrigation, plus survives being covered with ice.

Mkull yes, it's easy to see the patch of raleigh in your photo. Reminds me of what my grass used to look like. Thanks for your photos showing that Floratam will grow in light shade too as it's been touted as a full sun grass, the condition in which mine grows. This is especially so after the loss of our tree. It used to get a little relief from the late afternoon sun, but not anymore and it's doing great.

Here is a link that might be useful: DALSA 0605

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!