Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does anyone grow carambola (starfruit) in the Houston area?

Posted by julia42 8b/9a Houston (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 2, 11 at 16:21

I know I've seen references (on Gardenweb) in the past to carambola trees in the Houston area. I'm wondering if anyone here has had success growing these trees in ground and protecting them from our more recent freezes.

I remember in particular somebody mentioning one growing and fruiting in a parking lot near work (I imagine that one got little freeze protection). Many articles I read say mature trees can sustain temps down to 26 - 27 degrees with little damage which strikes me as not much different from many citrus trees (navel oranges and lemons) which I see growing happily in my area (I'm on the south side of the city).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does anyone grow carambola (starfruit) in the Houston area?

I have starfruit in ground since last 2 winters. It was 7ft tall and loaded with fruits before freeze hit us in winter which pruned it to 2 ft. Now it is back to 6ft and growing nicely.

o

That sounds promising. What kind of protection did it receive from the freezes? Is it planted in a sheltered area? How cold did it get in your area? Are you growing a seedling or is it a grafted cultivar?

Thanks so much!

o

It is grafted plant that I got from JRN. I protected it with freeze cloth and 1 90w bulb . I am in NW Houston and it got to around 18 degrees here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here