Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rain Lilie

Posted by patty_cakes (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 27, 12 at 16:42

I had never heard of these and saw my first blooms yesterday. Apparently the heavy rainfall we had last week brought them out. Have you ever seen them?

Gives me just one more reason to love Texas. ;o)

Here is a link that might be useful: Rain Lilies

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rain Lilie

Yes, I have several - white, pink and white, rose pink, and prairie sunset which is orangey apricot with a hint of purple at the throat. I love them all.

o

i have one or two in the front lawn, i figured it was a bulb of some sort, but never knew what it was. after reading the article, i think i'll dig it up and plant it in one of the flower beds, cuz it never gets to stay up long enough to seed before i need to mow the lawn.

o

I have never seen any seeds from my rain-copper lilies but they do divide if they like where they are living. I guess they do not like to be crowed as mine bulbs seem to be going away either that or the squirrels are eating too many. I have taken them back out of my yard and placed them back in the flower bed where they came from in the first place. I only have the pink ones which were a gift years ago.

o

My prairie sunset reseed, but not sure yet if they will come true - these seem to increase in some areas I have them planted, and some are decreasing in other areas. Not sure why, but don't think the squirrels are digging these up - never see disturbed soil in their spots.
The pink and white reseed very well, as well as the rose pink ones. The white ones spread really well if they are in a moist enough site. Other yellow hybrids I have tried haven't done so hot - worse than that - I planted the bulbs and never saw them again.

o

There are so many varieties. and I love them all.

o

• Posted by ruthz 8a dfw texas (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 3, 12 at 10:26

I have a pink one. Never made any seeds that I've seen.
Photobucket

o

I understand the prairie rain lilies do put on seeds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here