Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting Pomegranate Trees--now or later?

Posted by joie33 8A (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 13, 08 at 16:49

I'm debating on whether to purchase and plant new pomegranate trees this Fall or wait until Spring. My hope is that by planting them in the Fall, they'll have enough root growth (in the heavy clay soil I have) to be ready for next year's hot weather. When is the optimal time in the DFW area? Any recommendations?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting Pomegranate Trees--now or later?

Wait until spring. I've planted pomegranates in the fall and lost them. They aren't very hardy here, and the babies don't stand a chance. Plant big ones in the spring (as big as you can afford) and then let them grow all year. Once they are mature they have no problem withstanding our winters.

I've actually got some that I rooted that I'm letting grow as big as they can in pots. I'll plant them next spring or the spring after that if they aren't big enough. It's a special variety and we've already lost SO MANY immature ones that I am not willing to risk it with this variety.

o

I think the variety is more important. Every Wonderful I've tried in 7 has froze.

o

Willyt, I was planning on getting a "Wonderful" because I definitely want fruit. Can you recommend another variety? I plan on putting it in a container for a couple of years although I won't bring it inside in the winter unless absolutely necessary.

My cats won't leave anything alone that has leaves on it! One will try to eat and the other will try to climb it. Don't even ask me about Christmas! ARGH

o

I was hoping to find out the best variety of Pomegranate to plant in the spring as well. Does anyone know?

~Angela

o

You might check out the discussion on the link below.

In the spring I planted in the ground two "Russian" poms. I had them in pots for a couple years and overwintered inside. Whether they will survive outside up here in the panhandle is anyone's guess at the moment.

You should have much better odds in zone 8. But, I agree the spring is probably a better time to try so they can get rooted in as much as possible before the cold hits.

Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: G-Web discussion of hardier pomegranates

o
Better thread

This is a better thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: Later thread on poms

o

What's the deal with the ones that don't produce fruit? They have them all over the Botanic Gardens. They're okay, but I don't think they are all that fantastic. Are they evergreen?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here