Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
soxxxx

Methodist plant

soxxxx
12 years ago

On the Southern Gardening forum there is a discussion about "Methodist plant." It is described as a passalong.

I tried to find more information but came up dry except for that discussion.

Is anyone familiar with it? have it?

Comments (12)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

Hahaha -- groaner, but I'm laughing.

Soxxx I checked my book, "Passalong Plants" by Steve Bender and Felder Rushing (great book!) and there was no mention of Methodist plants, nor Baptist plants either for that matter :-)

Let us know if you find anything out about it.

• carrie751
    12 years ago

Okay, Jim, what happens if it is a Catholic plant????

• soxxxx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Open the Southern Gardening forum and read what is posted there. Last post this month,

Some posters claim to know it but no one has posted a picture.

• carrie751
    12 years ago

I read that yesterday after your post, and found it very interesting. I hope we can find out more about this elusive plant.

• bossjim1
    12 years ago

Hey Soxxx, joking aside, I read the post you referred to, and like Carrie, found it very interesting, so I did a search in Google Images, but just found pictures of 'Methodist' plant sales. I think they can post pictures there, and hopefully someone will.
    Jim

• Michelle MARSH
    4 years ago

As a child, I saw this on my mother's porch She had huge pots of these plants with deep green leaves that had purple blooms. The neighbor that shared them with her called them Methodist plants I have been looking for these for several years. They had to remain in the shade during the hot summers. They had dark green soft fuzzy leaves and the underside was purple like the blooms I would love to find out what they were.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Well, thanks to you Michelle, after 8 or 9 years we at least have a description of a Methodist plant. If there was a description in the original post referred to I don't remember it, But your remarks make me think of Moses in a cradle. Could this be it?

THIS may be the original discussion on the Methodist plant on Southern Gardening.

• ruthz
    3 years ago

Michelle MARSH, google this purple flower, Tibouchina and see if that's what your mother had.

Following. I've never heard of Methodist plants.

• peacockbleau
    3 years ago

I am the soxxx who wrote the original post asking about Methodist plant. I have asked several old country gardeners, asked members of the garden clubs that I belong to, and also asked at plant nurseries. I still have not encountered the first person who has even heard of it.

• peacockbleau
    3 years ago

In the Southern Gardening Forum it was mentioned that the bulbs looked like pine cones. This is an achimenes bulb.

• annieinaustin
    3 years ago

My wild guess: If you search for images of Kohleria rhizomes you get something that resembles pine cones and a search for Kohleria foliage shows them as velvety and the undersides of the leaves and the stems are described as "purplish".
    In the images, some of the flowers are more red or orange but some do look purple. These gesneriads are supposed to be very easy to share. I have to say the Methodists I know are big Sharers ;-)