Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Anyone grow Spicebush?

I'm wondering if anyone around San Antonio is growing Spicebush (Lindera benzoin) successfully, or is it only for acid soils?

Comments (11)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I guess not. More research shows they definitely like neutral to acid, rich, deep soil. Early settlers looked to them as an indicator plant for good farm land.

• linda_tx8
    13 years ago

I have Spicebush. Bought them at Natives of Texas (south of Kerrville) and they can be grown here...they have to be kept watered on a regular basis, however. I thought one of mine was dead last summer...but it came up again this spring from the roots...pretty small now, but it survived. The other two survived okay, except the remaining foliage is pretty skimpy right now because of the Spicebush Swallowtail caterpillars I've had.

• denisew
    13 years ago

I know you're asking about the San Antonio area, but I have spicebush growing in alkaline clay soil. It was grown from cuttings of where it was growing out in the woods at the Heard Museum in McKinney. I originally bought mine at one of the native plant sales held annually at the Heard Natural Science Museum. I just wanted you to know that it isn't just for acidic soils.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for both your responses! Wow -- maybe I can get one after all. Reading about what a useful plant it is for wildlife with its berries, and for me especially the idea that it hosts Spicebush swallowtail cats, perked my interest. So Linda, the Spicebush swallowtails found yours! That's great.

I see that Natives of Texas still offers it. I've been there, but it was years ago. Hmmm, I wonder if Rainbow Gardens buys wholesale from them. I'll have to check them out beore driving to Medina.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spicebush at Natives of Texas ...

• javiwa
    4 years ago

roselee: Wondering if you ended up planting a spicebush -- if so, how's it doing? I'm contemplating this for my zone 9a/b (SW Houston) butterfly garden. TIA!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    4 years ago

No. I didn't find one locally and never got around to ordering one by mail. I'd be interested in who is growing it around here. If you get one keep us posted.

• javiwa
    4 years ago

Will do. I'll also post an inquiry on our local NextDoor and see if anyone might have a bush/plant that I can take a cutting from. Maybe I can get a trade in the works!

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked javiwa
  • javiwa
    4 years ago

Thanks, bostedo -- I'd also read about making sure a male is nearby in order to pollinate a female; but, as you mentioned, I'm interested in this only as a host plant. I glanced at some of the pricing, and it is indeed ~ $20+ to get either a small plant (4" pot, I think) or bare root. Perhaps I'll come across it this fall as I wander around.

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    4 years ago

You might try ordering a one-gallon from Mail Order Natives - I think they've stopped shipments for the summer, though.

Lindera benzoin

• javiwa
    4 years ago

Thanks for the tip, Lin!