Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ogrose_tx

They will spray tonight in Carrollton

ogrose_tx
11 years ago

They will start spraying for mosquitoes in Carrollton tonight at 8:00pm barring rain; no, I'm not happy about it, but definitely don't want to get West Nile Virus. Will turn over birdbaths, and will hope for the best for my anoles and gheckos. They say this will affect bees, we've had a lot of them this summer.

We have had a number of cases this year, but no deaths that I know of. Will let you know what happens...

Comments (12)

• Christian
    11 years ago

Heard the planes flying earlier over my house in Garland. But now its storming over here. Really hope it doesn't kill the bees or my anoles either! But hope it does kill the squash vine borer moths Ive been battling :)

• Christian
    11 years ago

Heard the planes flying earlier over my house in Garland. But now its storming over here. Really hope it doesn't kill the bees or my anoles either! But hope it does kill the squash vine borer moths Ive been battling :)

• beachplant
    11 years ago

Is anyone still alive in Dallas? I had no idea that area of Texas was so full of WHINE!
    We complain when they don`t aerial spray.
    Tally HO!

renaming the Greater Dallas area the whine belt of Texas

• ogrose_tx
    Original Author
    11 years ago

LOL, you got that right, beachplant!

• debndal
    11 years ago

Beachplant - you have your opinion - others have theirs. Don't appreciate your premise that because some disagree with you, they are whining.

• ogrose_tx
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, I FINALLY figured out this is only for Dallas County, duh, I live about a block north of the county line in Denton County, but maybe they overshot their goal by a block?

Second go-round is tonight, I haven't noticed any difference in bees, etc. so hoping for the best!

I've posted this before in other forums, think the way some of us think is left from the 50's when they would spray with DDT every summer along with all the crop dusting with who knows what.

And no, rudeness isn't needed...
    ogrose

• burntplants
    11 years ago

It's interesting to see how upset people are...I've been upset for years about all the spraying in the Houston area, and everyone thinks I'm nuts to complain!

Spraying hasn't actually been proven to help, only treating the water like Ft.Bend Co (West of Houston) does has actually been proven to reduce the mosquitos.
    But Harris Co has a federal grant to pay for it's spraying program, so they go on spraying.

Are they spraying during the day or night in Dallas?
    Here in Houston they spray at night, so the only bugs that die are the moths and lightning bugs.

• ogrose_tx
    Original Author
    11 years ago

burntplants, they're spraying at night. They've sprayed twice and are keeping a close watch as to results. I did find out our whole city was sprayed (includes both Dallas and Denton Counties).

• beachplant
    11 years ago

come answer the phone for a couple of hours.

All I do all day, every day is deal with poisonings, study poisons, read about poisons, read about historical poisonings, give advice on poisonings, prepare lectures on poisons-poison plant lecture next Thursday, read books about poison, go to seminars and training sessions about poison, listen to lectures on poison, my desk if covered with books, articles and note cards about......POISON!
    My purse is full of articles and note cards about POISON.

last night I changed paths so I could FOLLOW the mosquito truck, spraying an organophosphate. Why? Because I know the skeeters are probably dead behind it and I, for one, do not want West Nile Fever or all those bites on me and the concentration is not high enough to have an impact on anything but the mosquitoes. Amazingly I am still alive. Me and the giant roaches, no impact on them either.

Pyrethroids? If the can hits you in the head it might hurt you.

Tally HO!

• PKponder TX Z7B
    11 years ago

Sounds like a career change might make you feel better.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

Well Tally, we certainly know who to ask when we have a question about poisons or poisonous plants. But I can imagine that answering the phone day after day and having to answer the same-o-same-o questions can make one feel a little wore out on the subject. You do make me laugh sometimes though, and I think that's the intent.

• beachplant
    11 years ago

nah, I like my job. What I DON`T like is people calling and yelling that I am dumping poison on them and the lectures about bees, stray cats, blah, blah, blah. Our job is to help. We have nothing, nothing to do with the spraying.

Call me anytime for any type of poisoning, it`s what we do. We aren`t paid by any companies, we don`t work for any chemical companies, we have no ulterior motives, no reason to lie to you. YOU pay our salary with a charge on your phone.

I would just like to work one shift without being yelled or cursed at. Gotta have a good attitude or go nuts, it`s hard to spend all day dealing with 12 yo who try and kill themselves, hysterical parents, death if you don`t have an outlet. Mine is gardening.

Tally HO!