Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19691163

Is there any living hedge that a dog cannot get through?

User
12 years ago

Dh thinks a dog can go through anything. We have new neighbors with 4 dogs, one a pit bull, and they come charging at the fence every time I'm in the garden. I bought a bag of dog treats and tossed a few over one day and they shut up. The next day I did it again and they started fighting over the treats, so I won't be doing that any more. I'd like to plant a hedge, thorny in case they do dig under, but dh doesn't want to have to dodge a thorny hedge when he is weed eating. I'll plant a yaupon hedge if nothing else just so they can't see me out there and maybe they won't come running, barking and growling if they just hear sounds over here.

Comments (9)

• pjtexgirl
    12 years ago

Watered down vinager water in a spray bottle worked for me.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

That's sounds like a good idea, PJ. I used to raise and show Basenjis and when you have a kennel of dogs there's going to be a few dog fights. The only thing that would break them up was scented room spray. It doesn't hurt them and they hate the strong odor so a whiff of that everytime they bark might make them decide it's not such a good idea.

If dogs are going to bark at you not even a board fence they can't see through will stop it, so I doubt that a hedge would do so.

• Lynn Marie
    12 years ago

Roselee is right. I have dogs next door that can't see me through the privacy fence, but they still bark at me. They don't scare me though. My dog is a rottweiler and they are little yippy dogs. My dog thinks they look delicious!

• pjtexgirl
    12 years ago

Air freshener lol! That's a new one! "Blech mom that STINKS!!!" (Lets stop bickering and go roll in something dead to get the smell off!!)

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

Rattling a can of rocks also works. Apparently they hate the sound and move away from the fence. You have to keep at it, but eventually they quit barking altogether. It's worked twice with neighbor's dogs over the years. One time this method caused the dog to start barking at the neighbors on the other side.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

PJ -- that's about it ... hahaha!

Hadn't heard of the can of rocks trick. It's sure worth a try.

I've read about some kind of amplifer that will play the dog's barking back at them. Maybe that's sorta' of what they get with the rattling of the can of rocks.

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

A friend told me about the can of rocks method and I think she learned it in a dog training class. I looked it up and the info is for training your own dog, but I know it works because we've used it.

It's item #6 in the list. We didn't reward the neighbor's dog with treats of course and just kept shaking the can until he gave up. Sometimes we rattled the fence with a stick at the same time and he definitely didn't like that. He barked around the clock, it was really awful. The owners apparently felt safer that way. I have my doubts because one day we had a satellite TV guy go up on the roof without our knowledge and not a peep from the dog even though it was on his side of the yard.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to stop dog barking

• cactusgarden
    12 years ago

Barberry would make a good thick hedge (not the dwarf type). These are taking the drought/heat very well too, just some slight burning on the tips. I would be hesitant to grow anything fast growing as you might regret it down the road with the frequent trimming. The Mountain Laurel would be a good choice as well as some of the newer types of landscape roses, the large everblooming shrub types. Maybe a mixed planting. The landscape roses look very good planted among large Miscanthus grasses and deep green evergreen shrubs. I have seen these thickly planted together and its very nice.

The unselected types of Cenzio (Leucophyllum fructescens) will reach 8ft.

or, on a more offensive note:
    Ocotilla is used for living fences if you can find the branches. I don't think a dog would come through that or some of the large padded prickly pear cactus with a few imbricata tree types here and there.

• soxxxx
    12 years ago

Read about trifoliate orange. I think it would keep anything out except maybe snakes.