Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
roses

Posted by Mafegarden (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 22, 11 at 19:10

Can I plant roses this time of year? I want to plant some vines around my house and do it organically..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: roses

I would advise against planting anything right now.
Its just too dang hot for them. Even well established plants are not making it this year. :(

Wait until it cools off.

o

I agree. WAIT for cooler weather.

o

So I should be good in September once it cools off. Thanks for the advice.

o

I agree, wait for cooler weather, I planted 3 austins and they are dead.

o

I agree with everyone else with one side note. If you can, prepare the hole now, especially if you are going organic. Dig the hole the size it needs to be, fill it with organic stuff to break down, and add water regularly (but not sopping wet)to make the area moist and fertile when you go to plant in mid Sept-Oct. Don't worry about putting in too much orgaic material. You can always take some of it out and spread it on top of the soil (under the mulch of course) after you are done putting in the roses.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here