Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to find Afghan pine trees?

Posted by awhendricks Texas (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 5, 10 at 19:12

I live in North Texas about an hour north of DFW, and I am trying to find some Afghan pines for my house, but I'm not having much luck. Does anyone know any nurserys in the DFW area that sell Afghan Pines? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to find Afghan pine trees?

I believe 'Afghan' pines are also commonly known as eldarica pines (mondale, mondell also). They should be readily available at most local nurseries. I have heard of some issues for them in our higher humidity - a fungus or disease that doesn't seem to affect them in drier climates. I had them at Big Spring, TX (near Midland) and they were great. I've seen lots of them around Wise/Denton/Tarrant counties and they seem fine.

o

Supposedly, Italian Stone Pine trees are best all around for Dallas area in the long run. Can get them cheap at Forest Farm online.

o

Hey Lou,
My Stone Pine finally rolled over and died - was looking really good, then POOF! My Japanese black pines are doing VERY well.

o

Really? Dang. I wonder what happened? My dog killed it with too much yellow water....

o

Afghanistan? HA ha ha ha ha!

I crack myself up!

o

Lynmarie, sometimes I think of a funny quip and crack myself up like that too ... LOL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here