Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
keirapham

Looking for fruit salad tree in Houston, tx

keirapham
14 years ago

Does anyone know where I can buy some fruit salad tree in Houston or nearby area? Im looking for something like either different kinds of orange in one tree or different kinds of plum/peach on one tree. Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments (10)

• spishack01
    14 years ago

I have never heard of such a tree!

• john_bonzo
    14 years ago

Houston Plant and Garden World has had 3 or 4 - in -1 peach trees in the past...not sure what they have now. I have not seen a fruit salad citrus tree for sale in Texas...probably have to graft it yourself.

Here is a link that might be useful: Houston Plant & Garden World

• havetohaveauctions
    13 years ago

Hello!

Check out ebay and type in 'FRUIT COCKTAIL TREE' and then at the top left click the category 'Home & Gardening' you will find it. They are selling them for only $29.99 plus $10 shipping. The tree is probably young and it will take 2 years to produce fruit but well worth the wait if it produces many fruits on one tree.

Enjoy your new tree!!!

• diamondjfarms
    12 years ago

I've seen them at Enchanted Gardens in Richmond, TX. They have Low Chill fruit salad/cocktail trees. (plum, peach, nectarine, apricot)

They get them in around January and they don't last long. I missed them this year, but I will be calling and going as soon as they come in.

Here is a link that might be useful: Enchanted Gardens

• julia42
    12 years ago

I've seen them at Caldwell's nursery in Rosenburg. Also, the Urban Harvest fruit tree sale in January usually has some multi-grafted trees for sale, if you can wait until then.

• pjtexgirl
    12 years ago

That sounds like a cool tree. Does the fruit that does best here (plum probably) tend to take over the tree? Would it be a lot of pruning to prevent that? I'm guessing they use self-fruiting varieties or do you have to get two of them?

• julia42
    12 years ago

One of the neat things about a multi-grafted tree is that the different varieties that are grafted onto the rootstock should pollinate each other (assuming they bloom at the same time) so you only need one tree. Sometimes one variety can become dominant - you have to keep an eye of the growth of the branches and prune appropriately.

• pjtexgirl
    12 years ago

I'm confused. How do different fruits pollinate each other? Unless it's crabapples and apples or something?

• julia42
    12 years ago

Usually "fruit salad" trees are not as, umm, salady, as the title would suggest. It's usually several varieties of the same fruit, such as 4 different citrus, 4 different apples, or 4 different pears. You won't see a tree with an apple, pear, and orange all on one tree, because those fruits require different rootstocks. The exception would be stone fruits - I think I've seen trees for sale with plums, peaches, and nectarines all on one tree. I don't know if those would pollinate each other or not. However, I think stone fruits are more often self fertile than apples and pears, which usually do better with a pollinator. I think all citrus is self-fertile.

• pjtexgirl
    12 years ago

That makes sense :)