Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sariejo

New land, tons of potential?

sariejo
10 years ago

Evening Texas Gardeners!

I am new to this forum and new (3 years) to Texas. My fiance and I were lucky enough to stumble upon an ideal rental property, minor fixer-upper. It's located outside of San Marcos at the entrance to the Hill Country. We have about 2 acres surrounding the house and it's all pretty much wild. Tons of prickly pear, mesquite, etc. Unfortunately I'm not 100% certain as to what everything is OR what grows here as a native plant because I am originally from Wisconsin.

I'm trying to get some ideas on what to do with the land directly in front and to the sides of the house. We're wanting to put a pool somewhere for the kids (the easy-up Wal-Mart style, nothing huge) along with a tree swing or two. We're also wanting a "chill spot" in the center of the yard, under the trees - Think Adirondack chairs and a low round table in the center, or if weather/ban permits, a ceramic fire pit or tiny table fire pit. I am also wanting to do a vegetable garden somewhere.

I'm planning on clearing everything but the trees out in the very center of the yard, ideally the "chill spot," and taking on more of a xeniscape style. Any suggestions on good plants for this or even any ideas on what you'd do with the land? I have pictures, but there are quite a few so it'd be something I could email. Any ideas are welcome!

And before it's brought up, yes the landlord is on board with any yard modifications as long as it doesn't negatively impact the value of the land or house.

Comments (5)

• daninthedirt (USDA 9a, HZ9, CentTX, Sunset z30, Cfa)
    10 years ago

The first thing to establish is what condition the soil is in. Prickly pear and mesquite is native in soil that can be quite poor. Not sure exactly where you are, but in much of this central Texas area, caliche is the rule. If you have a patch of green grass, that could well be what is underneath it. That's where you might have a few inches of topsoil over quite hard limestone. It can be a lot of work getting that stuff out. Once you do, you'll need to backfill with a decent gardening mix, and say your prayers. Well, at least for veggies.

If you've been there over the summer, you've probably figured out that vegetable gardening is going to be quite unlike Wisconsin. Forget whatever you learned there about vegetable gardening. In Wisconsin, high summer is for gardening and harvest. In central Texas, it's about survival. That's the bad news. The good news is that we have two growing seasons, and August is pretty much right between them.

Talk to your neighbors, and see if there are any local gardening clubs.

• Vulture61
    10 years ago

-Since you are renting, I would use raised beds to grow vegetables to avoid the work of amending the ground.

- Contact your Ag. Extension Agent. Their office is between Wonderworld and McCarthy. They can give you valuable info.

- I would not clean everything (mesquite and prickly pears for sure). Take time and research for species you want to keep, like oaks, madrones, Arroyo spicewood, kidney wood, etc. Having some shade around the perimeter of the property provides character and curb appeal.

- Visit Gardenville and Reid's ( local nurseries) and ask for advice.

- You may want to contact "Sustainable San Marcos" (Suzi Fields). They have a community garden where you can learn the gardening tricks of the zone.

Good luck!

Omar

• linda_tx8
    10 years ago

I'd recommend a field guide book, Wildflowers fo the Texas Hill Country by Marshall Enquist. There's also a native plant nursery in the San Marcos area, but it's only open by appointment, so you'd have to call them. If you can take photos of the plants on your place that need to be ID'd, post them on here and hopefully people on this forum can help you. Although San Marcos doesn't have meetings for the Native Plant Society, there is other chapters and contact info is given. If you decide to allow any of the chapters to come out to check your place, let me know. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: There's contact in

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

I also recommend Sally wasowski book " Native Texas plants: Landscaping Region by Region". Also " Gardening with difficult soils: Limestone, Alkaline Clays and Caliche" by Scot Ogden. It was writen a while ago so the choices of plants don't take in to all the advances in native plant availability but it is very good.

Lady bird Johnson is having their biannual native plant sale this Fall. , And if you travel to austin , be sure to check out Natural Gardener and Barton Springs Nursery.

Do you know what soils you have?

• linda_tx8
    10 years ago

Ah! I forgot the name of the nursery in that area. Here it is below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Madrone Nursery

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH