Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msrose

Question for those that grow climbing pinkie

msrose
13 years ago

If you've been following any of my other posts, you'll know that I just had all the plants removed in my backyard to make room for plants that I love. At the top of my list is Climbing Pinkie. I'm thinking about putting it on the lower level, in front of the top level.

{{gwi:304809}}

I was thinking about trying to grow it on a pillar, but I didn't know if it would get too big for that. I don't know how I would connect a trellis to the concrete fence and I'm not sure I want to since it's actually owned by my HOA. What do you think? Can I make it work on a pillar or does anyone have an idea how I could grow it over the fence? I'd love one of those umbrella pillars, but they're just so expensive.

Laurie

Comments (13)

• clairtx
    13 years ago

My daughter has these in her back yard and she used some kind of fasteners on the fence itself. Her fence is just like yours. when they get tall enough they spill over the fence. These photos were taken in May this year. This is one of five bushes on this wall. You can see how big they get.

• msrose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh wow, I didn't expect to find someone with the same exact setup...even the same exact style of concrete fence. She's not inbetween Dallas and Ft. Worth is she? It would be funny if she was in my neighborhood.Is her house the red one on the other side of the fence or is the picture taken from her yard? By the looks of hers, I don't think a pillar is going to work :)Can you find out more about the fasteners she used and where she got them?

Laurie

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    13 years ago

Clairtx, that's a beautiful example of what Climbing pinkie can do in the landscape!

My climbing pinkie leans on a chain link fence. As you might be able to tell in the photo below, with age, it will develope some fairly stiff canes. However, the young canes are very flexible and very near thornless making it easy to work with. You could drive a heavy piece of rebar into the ground and tie the young canes to it to get it started being a draping pillar rose.

The beauty of this rose is that it has so many possibilities for use. Antique rose emporium winds the young canes around and through a cedar rail fence. Roses of this type bloom even more on lateral canes so if you find something to use for attaching it to the fence in an espalier fashion that would be pretty too.

It can get to be a big rose, but is not a monster rose in that you can easily get in there to work with it and cut back any canes that are not part of the design you want.

• tshcd
    13 years ago

How gorgeous!

• bossjim1
    13 years ago

You can build an umbrella trellis yourself, out of rebar, and lower the cost a lot. Here's the one I built. Mine is welded, but you can put it together with wire.

• msrose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow, I can't believe how much it blooms.

Bossjim - Your picture is the one that made me want an umbrella pillar. I wouldn't even begin to know how to weld something together though, so I think that's out of the question :) What are the pink flowers that are spilling over the front of that flowerbed?

Laurie

• bossjim1
    13 years ago

Laurie, the pink flowers in the front are verbena.
    Jim

• clairtx
    13 years ago

Laurie,

Actually she lives in Park Glen in N. Fort Worth. I took this picture from her back porch. She used trellises to start with, then had to get the fasteners when they started hanging over.

She bought her roses at Green Mama's in N. Richland Hills. http://www.greenmamas.com/index.php?home-1

You can contact them about what type of fasteners to use. My daughter is on vacation right now or I would ask her.

• msrose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

clairtx - That's not my neighborhood, but I have a friend that lives nearby it. I'll probably be going to Green Mama's before long, so I'll ask them about it. Thanks!

Jim - Is your verbena an annual or perennial?

Laurie

• carrie751
    13 years ago

I have a question for you, Jim ........ how much do you prune Pinkie each year to keep it so uniform? Mine has been so difficult to keep in control.

• ibheri
    13 years ago

Laurie: When you ask them about the fastners can you please post the information? I am growing a lady banks close to my wood fence and I am looking for ways to train it by adding some kind of fastners to the fence. I could not figure out a way yet.

• Tina Buell (Z9b)
    8 years ago

Does anyone know where I can buy an umbrella trellis? I can't find them on the Jackson Perkins website.