Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Vetiver Grass as an ornamental?

Does anyone grow Vetiver Grass as an ornamental plant? I'm thinking that it might not get too big in my dry rocky soil, but under those condition it also might have lots dry leaves and not stay pretty and green . Anybody have any experience with it?

Here is a link that might be useful: About Vetiver grass ...

This post was edited by roselee on Sat, Aug 24, 13 at 21:21

Comments (6)

• GreatPlains1
    10 years ago

I think I would plant a native grass instead. I had looked into the vetiver some time back.

This one might be too big but.....I am very impressed with Giant Sacaton (Sacaton wrightii) I grew from seed year before last. It would grow very well on the dry rocky soil you describe and its excellent in drought. I planted a row of this and cannot say enough about how pretty it is when more mature, which it finally is this year. You need to give it some time to develop its personality.

It stays green when the soil is baked dry, is well behaved and the seed stalks are very impressive without being a pesky seeder. I have seen fully mature clumps and it just gets better and better. I tried the Sacaton Alkali (which I am removing) It doesn't come close to the beauty of this one.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    10 years ago

It's either Beachplant (Tally) or Linda from Rockport that grows it. Did you try a search Roselee?

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Greatplains, thank you for introducting us to Giant Sacaton. It's quite impressive. The thing is I have a nice Vetiver plant from Donna. It's in a tiny pot that dries out quickly, but even so it is about three or four ft tall and bright green. I just can't decide how to use it.

Pam, thanks. I'll ask them about it. A google search provided lots of information about erosion control, it's use for thatching and basket making, herbal uses plus a little on its use as a hedge, but not about if a single specimen is 'pretty' in dry ground. So I guess I'll just plant it and see ... :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: It's a 'pretty' amazing grass ....

This post was edited by roselee on Thu, Aug 29, 13 at 10:16

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pam, you've got a good memory! Linda Collins talks about it growing in rocky ground in the thread below

Here is a link that might be useful: Scroll down a bit to see Linda's offering ...

• GreatPlains1
    10 years ago

Oh, I see. Sorry about that.

The Sacaton wrightii is underused. If anyone is needing to plant a dry median, wants an impressive specimen or needs a grass to block a view to grow in dry, difficult or salty soil or for erosion problems, this is another very good possibility worth considering. The Vetiver is also impressive from what I read.

I don't mean to be OT but since I already brought it up, during the drought all the Miscanthus grasses around here performed terribly or were dead by the end of summer unless they were under regular irrigation. This would be an excellent choice for a large very ornamental grass, just in case anyone is interested in that.

This post was edited by GreatPlains1 on Thu, Aug 29, 13 at 13:28

• PKponder TX Z7B
    10 years ago

actually, Roselee, I was remembering a really old post that I thought was on this forum. I can't find it in a forum search though. I'll keep looking.