Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Start artichoke from seed now?

Posted by jlgarden 8 Austin (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 4, 11 at 20:14

Is it too late to start seeds now or should I wait until winter and start seeds indoor? Will artichokes do well in central Texas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Start artichoke from seed now?

Wow. I would LOVE to grow artichokes, but didn't know if they would grow well here. We grew them in Las Gatos California, but weather there was so much milder.

Let me know what you find out...

o

This is what I've found so far about growing artichokes in Texas. It looks like you might be able to do it very well in fall and winter in Austin, especially if you had something to cover the plants should it get too cold. Maybe you could plant them in big pots, and bring them inside should it get too cold?

http://southwestfarmpress.com/can-artichokes-bring-new-heart-texas-agriculture

Please note, I have NO practical experience growing artichokes.

o

Thank you for the response and the link.
I should get my seeds this week and give it a try. From what I have read, artichoke will come back in spring if I give it good mulching and prevent the root from frozen.

o

I just got mine in today, imperial star. I have grown them for about 6 plus yrs now. This is a good time to start your seeds, indoors, unless your a/c is out.

For me they overwinter nicely and usually get first choke in March. They can handle cold temps but should be protected some for hard freezes. I grow mine in front yard, they make nice landscape plants.

o

Oops I did not mean to post with my email address, hope that post can be deleted by a MOD. I will repost here.

I just got mine in today, imperial star. I have grown them for about 6 plus yrs now. This is a good time to start your seeds, indoors, unless your a/c is out.
For me they overwinter nicely and usually get first choke in March. They can handle cold temps but should be protected some for hard freezes. I grow mine in front yard, they make nice landscape plants.

o

breezeaire - Do you meant I should not start seeds outdoor under this 100F temp? I stared my 2 days ago in 5 (qt size) yogurt cups under a tree. This morning I found squirrel had dug in 4 of the 5 cups. I reseeded and keep them inside the garage. I thought the seeds do not need sun light until sprout. The garage is also very hot both day and night.

o

jlgarden, I read they need to germinate around 70° by the way not one of mine has germinated yet, house temp is around 75°.
I might try using my mushroom growing cooler to keep temp right. Hope my seeds are ok.

o

They did germinate fine out side 100F+. My outdoor papayas seeds are also germinated under this heat.

o

Hey Thanks for letting me know that, none of my others would sprout during august outside but they also were not store bought. I will try some outside and some in a oooler to see. The ones inside sprouted on day 14. In any case they are great when grown in winter. They don't need lots of cold protection but last winter was just too cold so I will cover mine this winter. Good luck with yours.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here