Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cynthianovak

Pride of Barbados

cynthianovak
10 years ago

Hi All
Anyone on the DFW area have this in your garden? I thought I saw a gorgeous on in a back yard a while back. I know they can make it in College Station, but do they do well here? I'm posting a link for anyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about. I spotted some at HD today and am really tempted. Tag says hardy to 20 degrees and only needs part Sun. What say any of you?

The leaf reminds me of the Bird of Paradise plant that is supposed to bloom one day but in yellow. But that plant want full sun right? Thank you c

Here is a link that might be useful: Pride of B

Comments (14)

• PKponder TX Z7B
    10 years ago

That's the one that Carrie and I have been discussing on Weldon's Mexican Bird of Paradise thread. Mine has been in ground on the south side of the house in 30% of the day. full sun garden for 3 years.

• carrie751
    10 years ago

Mine came back this year also, Cynthia, and though not as large as Pam's, doing quite well. It bloomed beautifully last year (first year in the ground), but hasn't as yet bloomed for me this year. I thought it wasn't going to come back, but did and about three feet tall now. It is in some morning sun and about four hours of hot afternoon sun and seems to love it.

• cynthianovak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the great news! Part Sun I have!

• marcie_new
    10 years ago

I have plenty of seeds for the mexican bird of Paradise pride of barbedos if any one want some this blooms yellow with red strings coming out of the flower, just e-mail me your addy and I will send u some for sase one stamp should do it Marcie

• Gretchen W.
    10 years ago

My son bought me one in June of this year. It is almost 3' tall. Love it. I picked the two pods that grew on it recenty and was waiting for them to dry out so I can open them up.

• surfbreeze
    10 years ago

If you wait until they are completely brown to pick them, they will usually pop open on their own in a few days

• PKponder TX Z7B
    10 years ago

You have to get them before they pop though, they explode :-) I found one in the sofa cushion!

• ruthz
    10 years ago

A house in the neighborhood has them every year and they bloom beautifully. I think they probably come back year after year. He has them in his front yard with full sun.
    His yard inspired me to want some. I bought a couple several years ago. They survived the winter but never bloomed. I probably have too much shade, but would like to try again now that my trees are trimmed and I have more sun.
    They are beautiful.

• Gretchen W.
    10 years ago

My son bought me one in June of this year. It is almost 3' tall. Love it. I picked the two pods that grew on it recenty and was waiting for them to dry out so I can open them up.

• Gretchen W.
    10 years ago

Stupid house cleaner threw mine away. They know I garden. I told them to put stuff back and well they made me mad. I had them two times but they made my cats scared so I won't have them again. Plus instead of washing dishes they threw them in the trash.

• marcie_new
    10 years ago

Ok fellow gardeners I am back!! sorry for being out I have been lurking in other forums then went to check my e-mail and found lots of e-mails the thing is when I tried e-mailing gretchen it comes back as delivery failure yahoo says she does not have an e-mail addy with yahoo, well here I am and will stay tuned in I still have plenty of seeds to share just e-mail me and I will get back to you, thank you all for sharing this forum. Marcie

• marcie_new
    10 years ago

Ok fellow gardeners I am back!! sorry for being out I have been lurking in other forums then went to check my e-mail and found lots of e-mails the thing is when I tried e-mailing gretchen it comes back as delivery failure yahoo says she does not have an e-mail addy with yahoo, well here I am and will stay tuned in I still have plenty of seeds to share just e-mail me and I will get back to you, thank you all for sharing this forum. Marcie

• Adella Bedella
    10 years ago

I hope it's ok to tag this question on the end of this thread.

I'm thinking about buying one of these trees for the yard. Is this tree one that sends out lots of seeds and then pretty soon you have all sorts of unwanted tree shoots all over the yard? That is the only thing that would keep me from getting. I've seen them in other people's yards. They are gorgeous.

• phoenix7801
    10 years ago

The red and orange variety stays a compact shrub so as long as you trim off the spent blooms they shouldn't be a problem. The Yellow poinciana on the other hand turns into a small tree so its possible you could have some seed sprouts here and there.