Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
weldontx

Seeds: Mex Bird of Paradise

weldontx
10 years ago

If you are north of I 20 and have a Mexican Bird of Paradise or other such shrub / tree. I am interested in a dozen or so seeds.
Be glad to pay postage, etc.
What else is EXTREMELY drought tolerant. I mean NO water, except an occasional rain. And yes, I understand about water to get established.
Weldon

Comments (15)

• carrie751
    10 years ago

I do, Weldon, if they haven't all popped already. I will email you.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    10 years ago

I grow a lot of Mexican Feather Grass and yucca in those conditions. I do water my POB because it's in a garden that I water weekly.

• cynthianovak
    10 years ago

HI All
    I don't have any seeds, but do have a plant and it has not bloomed. It is in a pot and pretty big, any suggestions?
    c

• carrie751
    10 years ago

Don't you have room to put it in the ground, Cynthia?? Mine are all inground and two are small trees. Maybe it just needs more room.

• cynthianovak
    10 years ago

Thanks Carrie
    I dropped son seeds in the pot last year. Put it in the greenhouse then kinda forgot to plant it. I will find a place for it. Full Sun, right? c

• carrie751
    10 years ago

Yes, Cynthia, mine are in full sun. My DH even comments on this one.

• cynthianovak
    10 years ago

thank you carrie

• PKponder TX Z7B
    10 years ago

I use lots of mulch in the late fall too Cynthia. I dump two big bags on top of mine, pull it back when we warm up in the spring.

Is this the plant you are all talking about?

This post was edited by pkponder on Tue, Aug 27, 13 at 7:23

• carrie751
    10 years ago

That is the one that I have, Pam, and I don't mulch mine other than the leaves that fall and I leave until next Spring.
    They seem to be pretty tough little plants, and I have so enjoyed mine.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    10 years ago

I love mine! It's probably 7 or 8 feet tall now :-)

• weldontx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Carrie and pk for the seed offers. You know, I don't think this one is like the ones that I have on the farm. What LUCK to find this one. Will look forward to getting seeds and getting them planted.
    Cynthia....Plant that thing!!, but I'd wait until late Sept.

• marcie_new
    10 years ago

I can get seeds for this bush pictured on this post and also I have seeds for the other one yellow bloom red strings coming out of the flower I just posted a post few minutes ago Marcie

• cynthianovak
    10 years ago

I bought Pride of Barbados and it says part sun, so that is what I gave it. I will plant the golden / yellow one that is in a pot as soon and the heat breaks. Y'all are the best! c

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    10 years ago

I have two BOP in pots purchased this year from HD.
    We had a week trip to San Antonio and saw this and Esperanza everywhere. Once we got home I found both at Callaway's and HD. I have Experanza seeds, but no BOP seeds yet.
    There are a lot of seed pods though. I hope they ripen before fall.
    Lonnie

• PKponder TX Z7B
    10 years ago

Hey Weldon, I sent you an email. The seeds are harvested and dried.