Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynnmariep86

New Orleans look/feel

Lynn Marie
13 years ago

I'd like to give my back yard/patio a New Orleans look and feel, but I'm kind of stumped. I've added wrought iron fencing, and tropical plants, but it gets too hot for hanging ferns. I can't find any pictures online to show, so it's one of those things that you know it when you see it. Any other suggestions for how to achieve this look?

Thanks in advance!

Lynn

Comments (15)

• holleygarden Zone 8, East Texas
    13 years ago

I love New Orleans type gardens. They have such a relaxing feel to them.

You already have wrought iron and tropical plants. When I think of New Orleans gardens, I also think of brick pathways, formal edgings, fountains, climbing vines, large trees, and a sitting area. Hope this helps.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    13 years ago

Bougainvillea make me think of New Orleans, lantana too.

• melvalena
    13 years ago

Do you have a nice water fountain?

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    13 years ago

I googled 'New Orleans Gardens" and see lots of palms, ferns, tropical looking foliage plants, elephant ears, pretty green (and white blooming) shrubs; also lots of plants in pots, as well as all the things mentioned above. I LOVE the New Orleans garden look! Good luck with your project :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: New Orleans Gardens ...

• cweathersby
    13 years ago

Star jasmine on that wrought iron. Shade. Fountain. Big pavers or concrete. Iron patio table and chairs. I'm out in the country with a lot of open space and after 8 years I'm still waiting for some plants to grow tall enough to enclose a small garden to recreate that New Orleans feel.

• bobbi_p
    13 years ago

With the dry heat of DFW, you might cheat and see what the landscaping looks like around your local Pappadeaux restaurants. Some of them here in Houston have very nice New Orleans type patio gardens. The local DFW ones could give you ideas of things that definitely grow in your zone!

• Lynn Marie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OH! Pappadeaux! What a great excuse to eat there! Landscaping research! Thanks, Bobbi! Best advice ever!

Those are great pics you googled, roselee. I didn't find all those when I googled. You must be an expert googler!

I have all the right elements you all mentioned (ferns, elephant ears, bouganvilla, vines, etc.), I just guess I don't have enough of them and I don't have them put together right. I'm in need of an exterior designer!

Keep the ideas coming! Thanks!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    13 years ago

Lynnmarie, I google a lot but it took me a little while to figure out that you can click on 'images' on the upper left hand side of the google page and get all pictures.

As for design some people just have the knack on how to place things. Years ago I had a friend that was an interior designer and when I would arrange things I would think "Now how would Jeannie do this?" and sort of get in her mode of thinking. Funny how that worked. Or maybe just copy something you see, keep moving stuff around, and get a friend to help you decide. And use lots of pots. They are nice in that you can move them around. Some places have them on sale now. And always check out garage sales when you can. Pretty pots are nice but even if you get the plain terra cotta color plastic pots you can dab some green/brown paint on them and wipe it off to 'antique' them. They won't be noticed when the plants are in them anyway. And get some very large pots, along with smaller ones, get some plant stands for things like ferns at places like Big Lots, mix water absorbing crystals in the potting soil and they will stay watered longer than plants in the ground do.

And most of all -- have fun doing it!

• pricklypearsatx
    13 years ago

I think Japanese Yew (Podocarpus) and Sweet Olive (Osmanthus Fragans) are popular in New Orleans.

I love Japanese Yews!!

• cweathersby
    13 years ago

Holly ferns would be a good idea. They don't need much water and look good in the winter. Also, I've noticed night blooming jasmine down there- but it can't take our winters.

• denisew
    13 years ago

My husband's family live in southern Louisiana and I see a lot of sago palms used in landscapes down there. They aren't dependably hardy in DFW so if you grow a couple in containers and protect them in the winter by bringing them in or storing them in the garage (bring them out on warmer days), they would be a nice addition to your New Orleans style patio.

• Lynn Marie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. I got one of the books I ordered and love it! I still think I need some help. Maybe its just not really feasible in DFW. I have incorporated most of ya'll's suggestions.

• holleygarden Zone 8, East Texas
    13 years ago

Perhaps it's time for a 'research' trip to determine exactly what's missing in your garden. :)

• pippi21
    13 years ago

You seem to have a lot of creative ideas in your head, what does your present flower gardens look like now? Love those pics of New Orleans gardens..never been there.

• Lynn Marie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yeah, Holley, I definitely need to do some "research"!

Pippi, I have a patio with lots of post and everything tropical mentioned above, but it is just a patio and back yard, nothing more.