Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adellabedella_usa

Please identify pods

Adella Bedella
9 years ago

I'm cross posting this in the butterfly garden forum.

I found these in my live oak tree. Can anyone identify these and let me know if they are good or bad? There were several of these chrysalis type pods and some webs which makes me think they are probably something bad. I have a ton of butterflies and moths right now. I'm not even sure if this is what they are.

Thanks!

Comments (14)

• MKull
    9 years ago

Those sure do look like egg sacs of a spider to me. Perhaps an orbweaver of some type.

• MKull
    9 years ago

Doing a bit of looking, I'm betting it's a black and yellow garden spider. Definitely good things to have around in my opinion. Big spooky looking spiders but certainly won't harm you and quite beneficial to the garden. Maybe not so much to your butterflies though as they will consume them if the opportunity presents itself :(

• Adella Bedella
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I went out in daylight and took another picture. I'm a bit worried. I've counted at least 23 of these pods. Could be more. If I knew for a fact that these were good spiders I would leave them. I love the black and yellow spiders. I'm afraid I may be allowing something bad. We plan on removing them this evening.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

I'm very curious about what they are. Please put your question and photos on the "Insects" forum. They are very good at identifying anything to do with insects.

Also, why not cut one open and see what's in there?

Let us know what you find out either way.

Here is a link that might be useful: Insects forum ... You could just put a link to this thread on your post there ...

• Adella Bedella
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! "Insects" was the word I was looking for. LOL! I looked under "bugs".

I did cut one open. There were maybe a hundred or so little balls which I assume were eggs.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

I am really surprised that no one has replied to your query on the Insect Forum. We're pretty sure they're spider eggs, but why so many in one location? And why haven't any of the rest of us seen them? What kind are they?

Most spiders are beneficial:

"Spiders are abundant and widespread and, best of all, a natural controller of insect pests. Spiders are beneficial predators and serve a significant role in keeping populations of many insect pests in check. Spiders are oftentimes the most important biological control of pests in and around homes, yards, gardens and crops.

"Spiders lay their eggs in a silken, egg-shaped sac. The egg sac can be hidden in a web, attached to a surface, or carried by several of the female species (wolf, cellar and nursery web spiders). Spiders may produce several egg sacs, each containing up to several hundred eggs. Young spiders, known as spiderlings, emerge from the egg sac and disperse. Many climb to the top of a nearby object, produce long filaments of silk (known as gossamer) and are carried by the wind. This method of dispersal is known as ballooning."

Here is a link that might be useful: TAMU: Spiders in the garden ...

This post was edited by roselee on Mon, Aug 25, 14 at 21:39

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

Pam Penick posted today about the big garden spider, a black-and-yellow argiope, on her blog 'Digging'. There is an egg sac pictured which looks a lot like the ones adellabedella photographed.

I see the big black and yellow spiders once every few years, but would love to have more of them.

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Digging' blog with photos of black-and-yellow argiope and her egg sac ....

• dbarron
    9 years ago

I've had them frequently, but usually the final stage of the female's life...is later in the year. And that'd be a lot of egg sacks for one female.

Just an observation, from my own experiences.

• jolanaweb
    9 years ago

Wow, I have seen up to four from one female but in Louisiana I have seen trees full but from multiple argiopes

Here is a link that might be useful: a lil info

• Adella Bedella
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We haven't destroyed the egg sacs yet. That is a really huge number of them. I'm still trying to see if we can identify them.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

Try sending a link of this thread to TAMU Insect Questions.

If you live in San Antonio I wouldn't mind having an egg sac.

Here is a link that might be useful: TAMU Insect Questions ...

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

I just now checked out Jolana's link. The part about the yellow and black Argiope spider is about half way down the page. There are photos and the egg sacs look like the ones pictured above, though I'm not sure exactly what other spiders egg sacks look like. This is part of the article.

" ....The large yellow and black Argiope, aka Writing Spider, hangs head down in the center of her web. Although fierce looking, she is benign. If disturbed, she will either drop from her web to escape or she may vibrate her nest vigorously to intimidate, but she poses no threat. ...

"We fed one argiope moths a few summers ago and she was able to produce 3 egg sacs.

"At this time of year she will produce her eggs. Her abdomen will swell before producing usually one, but up to three, egg sacs containing from 300 to over a thousand young in each, and her life will end with the first frost. Her babies hatch inside the sac, where they also overwinter before emerging in the spring looking like miniatures of their parents.

"I have witnessed the emergence of the miniature spiders in the spring and it is reminiscent of CharlotteâÂÂs Web. Off they scurry in every direction to begin their own summer journey of life."

I don't see Argiope spiders but about every three or four years, but am thrilled when I do find one in my yard. Maybe with the rains this spring they had a good year. I would treasure those pods.

• sylviatexas1
    9 years ago

They eat bad bugs.
    They do not eat people.
    & they're Art Deco in the garden.

• Adella Bedella
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry, I don't live in San Antonio. I'd give you some egg sacks.

I hope they are the yellow and black spiders. I like that kind.