Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lucas_tx_gw

Need a small red rose OGR or equally hardy

lucas_tx_gw
11 years ago

Kind of a specimen spot, so needs to have a pleasing shape. Hopefully fragrant. Full sun. Neglectful gardener once established ;-)

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Teri

Comments (9)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

Europeana would be my suggestion. It's a beautiful rose on a nicely shaped bush. It's dark red, stays small, it's been healthy for me, a frequent bloomer, heat tolerant, mild fragrance. Check out the photos.

Here is a link that might be useful: Europeana on HelpMeFind ...

• luvs2plant
    11 years ago

Europeana is a great suggestion.

Another possibility might be Martha Gonzales. While she has little/no fragrance, she's a blooming machine....and one of the easiest to propagate.

Here is a link that might be useful: Martha Gonzales on HelpMeFind

• carrie751
    11 years ago

I have a Martha Gonzales, Teri, and she is a blooming machine with little of no care.

• ltcollins1949
    11 years ago

I agree on the Martha Gonzales! I had one in my yard when I moved here 16+ years ago. It was blooming then and still is. Great no maintenance rose!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

I just ran across an interesting comment by 'Bluegirl' on the Antique Rose Forum about Martha Gonzales:

~ ~ ~

"My "Martha Gonzales" (from ARE) looks like SEVERAL named Chinas. And it is quite different from a "Martha Gonzales" I had from Chamblees. ARE's plant is tall & vigorous with big, open, white-centered fragrant flowers. The Chamblee's plant was petite in growth habit & it had more delicate, folded flowers with only a light scent."

~ ~ ~

This could possibly be due to where the specimen was planted, but it might be something to consider if one is interested in acquiring 'Martha Gonzales'.

Here is a link that might be useful: Discussion about the real names for found roses ...

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

I thought of another rose that I grow which fits the bill -- Eutin. It's a wonderful, easy to grow polyantha that blooms constantly in large clusters, is very healthy, takes neglect and abuse, and stays small.

Years ago I planted one in my next door neighbors yard. New neighbors moved in and let the weeds grow up in the back fence bed where it was. Years later I noticed something red back there and it was Eutin still growing and blooming among huge weeds with no extra water and care. I dug it up and put it in a pot for her. She does take care of her plants in pots.

Sorry, Martha Gonzales has some good qualities, but I'm just not a fan. I like a more rosy looking rose. (Ducking behind my computer ... lol ... ;-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Eutin on HelpMeFind ...

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

I hope you're not getting tired of my replies, but Valentine is another suggestion. I had it in a dry location in the ground for years where it survived and bloomed, but it's doing much better in a container where I can keep it better watered. It blooms practically nonstop throughout the season. The flowers burn around the edges in the high heat of summer, but in the spring and fall they are perfect. It has the added attraction of being thornless. I never noticed much of a fragrance, but someone commented on HMF that it does. Maybe it's one of those off and on again kinds of fragrance.

Here's a picture of one of my three Valentines. I liked it so much I rooted a couple more from the one I have. It roots very easily ...
    {{gwi:208159}}

See the comments section on HelpMeFind as well as the description and photos.

Here is a link that might be useful: Valentine on HelpMeFind ...

• lucas_tx_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Roselee, not tired of suggestions at all! Just enjoying checking them all out.

Thanks

Teri

• jardineratx
    11 years ago

I agree with Roselee regarding Valentine. It is a remarkable rose in many ways--disease free, continual blooming, thornless, and of a moderate size. I, too, have 3 Valentines now and I plan to root a few more cuttings this fall.
    Molly

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner